Chapter 55

Gyth’s POV

I furiously stomped out of the room and towards the hallway of my chamber. Instead, I found myself in front of the necromancy section.

I opened the doors and all eyes averted towards me. As usual, the demons are busy working on various medicinal matters.

“I’m here for Malluk.” I said and continued on my way.

I opened the hatch to the attic and found Malluk busy with his hands on the pestle and mortar.

“Ah, you are back.” He said without batting an eye towards me.

“You were expecting me?” I asked fully confused as I walk towards him.

“I knew you for a very long time, my child. If it comes to humans, you wouldn’t be able to hold yourself back.” Malluk said as I stood beside him and took the pestle and mortar into my hands.

“What more if it’s someone you’re very much fond of.” He said and I stopped crushing the contents on the mortar as I turned to face him.

“In what world do you mean?” I asked and he just grinned taking the mortar and pestle back from my hands.

“You know I don’t like it when you take my work.” He said and I shook my head.

“I’m not taking your work. I’m lending you a helping hand.” I sternly said.

“I don’t need your helping hand then.” He said emphasizing my words. What a stubborn old man.

“I know you’re quite a strong man in your days but you’re getting old now Malluk. You should let the young ones do the works.” I said firmly settling my hand on the table.

“Those kids still have a long way to go.” He responded and I shook my head as he continued on crushing contents on the mortar.

“That Elil. It was unusual of him to take interest in humans.” I muttered frustratingly.

“Elil is of no harm. You yourself should know that, my child.” Malluk replied.

“Then I guess I’m the only one who was raised right.” I said and I was hit at the back of my head.

“What was that for?!” I said as I winced in pain.

“I raised all of you right.” He firmly said, glaring towards me and I let out a long sigh.

Malluk took care of Elil and me and a few others when we were still in training. All of us had a very strong bond and Malluk was quite strong back in the day not to mention how the back of my head feels sore from his smack.

“Don’t worry yourself. The lady will be fine.” Malluk said and his words never failed to calm my anxiousness.

Chevel’s POV

One by one, the humans are being taken in the rooms again and it wasn’t long until only a few of us are left to be chosen.

The three of us stayed close to each other trying to converse to lighten the mood and calm our nerves when all of a sudden three hybrid demons approached us.

I felt Emily’s nails bore to my clothes while Vernon instinctively hid us behind him. Before my anxiousness could kick in again, the demons raised their hands as if telling us they’re of no harm.

“It’s us.” The demon said and my eyes widened upon realizing who they were.

“Wow. There’s no hint of your true appearance.” Emily said, finally calming down.

“We should go now.” Elil said and I nodded towards Emily and Vernon.

I glanced over Elil and I can’t believe he’s transformed into a hybrid. I’m still overwhelmed at his abilities.

I nervously swallowed the lump in my throat as we approached Lilith’s henchmen. If they caught us, we’d be in huge trouble. Worst, I could die in the hands of another demon.

The henchmen stared towards Elil then towards me and I can’t help but be tremendously nervous.

“Go on.” The henchman said and my heart jumped in relief as we walked past them.

I glanced over my shoulder and I was glad to see Emily and Vernon also following suit.

“I still can’t believe my eyes.” I said as I stared towards Elil as soon as we stepped into a room.

“You must be underestimating me then.” He responded with a very deep loud tone different from his voice.

“Even your voice actually changed!” I exclaimed and he snickered.

“You are rather surprise to find out about this.” Elil said and I nodded.

“I am. I only found out about it a short while ago from my friends.” I replied and his mood changed abruptly.

“I see. It’s not something I wished for nor did I took great effort to achieve.” He said with great disdain.

“Is it something bad to possess?” I asked in wary. He turned to me and smiled, “No it is not.”

“My family has always held the greatest incubus from generations to generations and I was born with such power.” He said and I keenly listened to his story.

“I just think that those who worked hard only to achieve such power are more fitting.” He said and I was greatly warmed of his good intent.

“You remind me of someone.” I said with a wide smile on my face and he turned to look at me with dilated eyes in shock.

“Powerful with great titles yet very kind and gentle.” I said with longing eyes as I recalled the demons from that small village looking up to Gyth with such high regard as they called him the favored reaper.

“I’m very much pleased to hear such praises.” Elil said with a bright smile on his face.