Chapter 16

Chevel's POV

I closed my eyes, lifting my head at the same time, savoring this wonderful moment.

It has been an awful day for me and I can't thank him enough for taking me outside. It distracted me from my thoughts and the fear that's been inside me subsided. I really needed this.

Even though it's been days since I came here, I've never really left our room. I'm still not familiar with the castle and I didn't dare to roam around either.

It was like I didn't want to go out without him. As if I felt unsafe without him by my side. I became too dependent on him.

"Chevel.." Gyth muttered. I turned to him with a smile on my face whilst he looked so stoic, emotionless yet his eyes seemed different. As if something's bothering him.

"Can you tell me now what really happened?" He asked suddenly making me flinch. Just thinking about what happened makes my body tremble ever so badly.

I didn't really want to think about it anymore or even talk about it, knowing pretty well that there's no way out.

I'll end up dead if I slip a word.

"Nothing happened.." I said, turning away. My breath hitched as he suddenly stood up, pacing back and forth before standing right in front of me.

"Chevel." Gyth said firmly, as he stood in front of me.

"I'm gonna ask you again. What happened?" He asked, his voice sounded impatient.

I gasped trying to calm my trembling hands by holding them together as I slowly looked up to him.

I can't see his face clearly as the moonlight shone over his back. But his eyes gleamed, piercing through me like a sharp knife.

I don't know whom am I more afraid of; being killed by Lilith or getting Gyth really mad.

"P-please. Gyth.. I beg you." I pleaded as I cowered, hoping that he'll drop the matter. I don't want to lie to him anymore. I don't want to keep on making up reasons.

I don't want to lose his trust.

"Let me make this clear. I exile dishonest underlings." He stated as clear as day. It's evident in his tone that he finally lost his composure.

Breathing became harder each second as I struggled to swallow the lump in my throat.

"Don't test my patience, Chevel." He warned.

I froze, unable to neither make a move nor utter a word. No words dared to come out my mouth.

I'll be dead either way.

"You're not going to talk?" Gyth asked impatiently.

I clasped my shaking hands, hoping that the ground would just eat me alive.

"That's it." He said, disappointment evident in his tone.

I looked up to him almost immediately trying to tell him with my eyes that he can trust me.

But no luck.

His eyes became dark, the kind that I've never seen before. It's almost like he's a totally different person.

Fear begun to engulf my soul and the next thing I knew, I was being dragged out the castle.

"No!! Please!" I screamed, tears flooding endlessly on my face as Gyth lifted me up to his shoulder. My stomach rested against his shoulder blade as his hand held my legs.

He took long strides towards the gates of the castle and ordered the guards to open it. He dropped me on my back making me wince in pain.

As soon as I recovered, I crawled towards the steel barred gate begging for mercy.

"Please!! Let me in!!" I screamed, echoing through the forest.

I turned to look at my back and to my fear, I locked eyes with the beast that marked terror the first day I came here.

"Talk or I'll let that chimera devour you." Gyth said heartlessly.

I chased my breath as my knees give in, the cold ground leaving shivers down my spine. I felt weak to the bones.

Is there really no way out?

I took a deep breath as the words escaped my mouth.

"S-she told me she'll k-kill me!" I blurted out.

It's either I'll be dead today or the minute Lilith finds out. I chose the latter.

"What?" Gyth asked, confused.

Just then, I heard a growl from behind and my eyes widened as I see the chimera only a meter away ready to pounce at me anytime.

I closed my eyes clasping my hands, ready to be devoured.

A minute passed when I still felt my body intact so I decided to open my eyes slowly.

I braced myself as I sprung my eyes open only to find the chimera on the ground, dead, instead of me.

I felt sick as I stared at the dead body of the beast in front of me.

I pushed my legs on the ground, trying to distance myself from the dead beast when I clashed my back with something hard.

I turned around with my knees only to see the familiar black trousers.

I looked up with hope and met Gyth's eyes.

I was saved.

He saved me.

Gyth bent down holding me in his arms as the tears that's been held back finally found their way out of my eyes.

I cried hysterically, burying my face in his chest.

"I'm sorry Chevel.." Gyth murmured as his embrace tightened.

I shook my head fully aware that none of this would've happened if I became truthful from the start.

I pulled out my hands that are resting against his chest and for some reason, they found their way around his back.

I felt Gyth flinch as I embraced him back desperately.

A/N: Ooooof what an eventful chapter. I didn't notice that I held my breath while writing this 😂 stay safe everyone! <3