Chapter 54

I covered my mouth with my shaking hands as several demons in steeled-armor carried figures covered in white cloths as they marched towards the main hall.

Humans and demons one by one stepped out. I looked at them with wary eyes as some are wounded and limping on their feet.

My gaze suddenly averted towards the guards coming out of the rooms and my eyes couldn't believe what I witnessed.

I covered my mouth with my shaking hands as I saw what they're carrying in their arms.

No.

I was appalled to see them walk towards the main hall carrying figures covered in white clothing and my mind instantly wandered towards.. "Vernon.. Emily!" I suddenly blurted out searching for the sea of humans coming out of the rooms.

"Chevel.. Hey!" Elil called out as I followed the guards into the main hall in haste.

"Chevel, calm down." Elil said grabbing me by the arm, turning me towards him. I met with his auburn eyes and the tears suddenly fell from my eyes.

"This is bound to happen from the very beginning." He muttered as he slowly released my arm.

I lowered my head and tears fell to my feet. I wasn't aware that there would be casualties nor was I aware that they'd come in numbers. Yet again I should've expected it since I watched how cruel they could be before my very eyes.

"Chevel!" Someone called out from the crowd and I turned instantly towards the voice and found Emily and Vernon running towards me.

A smile of relief washed my face as they engulfed me in their arms. I studied them from head to toe as soon as I pulled back and I was grateful to see them unscathed.

"I'll leave you be." Elil murmured to my ear before disappearing in the crowd.

"I'm glad you're both safe." I sincerely said glancing at the both of them.

"Me too." Emily said and Vernon nodded.

"Luckily, the demon who chose me is not odious." Vernon said pointing towards the crowd. I followed his hand and saw a graceful woman with long silky blonde hair conversing with two men, one of which I was surprised to see to be Elil.

"Yes, mine too." Emily nodded, glancing over the other man with Elil.

"We were so worried about you. We're lucky our rooms are next to each others but yours was distant from ours." Emily said clinging onto my arm and I caressed her hair, comforting her.

"We shouldn't be celebrating yet." Vernon said as Lilith ascended the platform, gaining all our attention.

In front of her are bodies covered in white cloths lined up in rows. My hands bore in my palms as she began to speak.

"Quite a lot of casualties for the first round." She said glancing over the bodies.

"Now, onto the next." She said and the demons grinned in excitement as they turned towards us yet again.

I held Vernon and Emily's arms tightly this time, not wanting to be separated.

"Look at you trembling." A demon approached us. "It just makes me want you all the more." He said, licking his nasty lips.

Vernon instinctively walked in front of us even though he's shaking as much as we are.

"Pardon us but we've already claimed them in advance." A familiar voice said and I turned to see Elil.

The demon clicked his tongue in dismay and fortunately walked away without causing a ruckus.

"Would you accept my proposal of being with me for the rest of the hour?" Elil asked and I was shocked at his offer.

"That would be a predicament since we can't choose the same human more than once." The woman whom Vernon gestured to a while ago came walking by followed by a man with blonde hair gathered in a ponytail.

"Not when Elil's with us." The man said and Emily's arms pulled back from mine.

"Ah. Sir Zeniv." Emily said prancing in front of him and he surprisingly patted her head.

"You wouldn't mind, Vernon?" The woman asked and Vernon went down to his knees. "Of course not, milady." Vernon answered.

I turned towards Elil and I didn't quite understand what he's planning and how he'll come through with it but I smiled in response.

"Zeniv, Greta. I need you two to fetch me as much strand of hair of various demons in half a minute." He said and they immediately dispersed.

"Wow, you were with Elil Thorne?" Emily whispered to my ear.

"You know of him?" I asked and she nodded.

"He's the counterpart of Lady Lilith. He's the greatest incubus in the underworld." She whispered and I glanced over his back as he observes the crowd.

I was surprised to know of this since Lilith's personality greatly differs from him. I never knew incubi could be kind and gentle.

"Whatever. Even if Lady Greta isn't the greatest succubus, she's far kinder than Lady Lilith." Vernon said and I smiled knowing that we're in good hands.

"Do you have any idea what they're planning to do?" I asked.

"Great sir Elil just needs a strand of demon hair and he'll be able to transform identically to their appearance." Vernon explained and I was left confused.

"I thought incubi and succubi could only use their abilities when the sun is down and when the target's asleep?" I asked.

"That's right but remember, he's the greatest incubus. He has the power during the day and greater power during the night. What more is, he can use his power to anyone, humans or demons alike and whether the target's asleep or not." Vernon explained.

"Not only that, he can also link his power to his fellow incubi and succubi. That's what they're planning to do." Emily said and I was bewildered to know of such things.

"The greatest succubus and the greatest incubus. Only the ones entitled to such name possess such power." Vernon said and it wasn't long until Lady Greta and Sir Zeniv came back.

"We'll be right back." Elil said and I nodded as they vanished into the crowd of demons and I was left shaking in anxiousness yet again.

"Don't worry. They'll be back before anyone can choose us." Emily assured me.

"As for now, I'll protect you both." Vernon said with crossed arms and Emily stifled a laugh.

"Yeah right. You were obviously shaking a while ago when you hid us behind your back." Emily said.

"What did you say?!" Vernon said and I giggled watching the two of them bicker as they always do. I'm showered with gladness knowing that I've found people I can call as family in the midst of this great suffering.