Chapter 24

A sigh of annoyance escaped my throat as soon as I stepped into the balcony. The wind is awfully strong today as if it’s trying to complement my mood.

Dicarius and Sebastian offered to keep Chevel company while I’m away. That’s one less thing to worry about.

I took off my coat and not sparing a second, I flew with the wind as fast as I could. I want it done as soon as possible.

I was halfway through the castle when a shadow flying hastily opposite my direction caught my attention.

I squinted my eyes and immediately halted.

“Stop there.” I said and the figure instantly stopped moving.

I flew towards him swiftly in case he’ll make a run for it. His wings made it hard for me to peek on his face but I'm pretty sure he's a reaper like me since he has the same wings as mine.

When I was nearly behind him, he glanced over his shoulder and I was able to recognize him.

Dante.

He’s one of my closest friends when I was being trained as a reaper. We both got vested at the same time.

“Dante?” I asked, confused as to why he’s here.

The reaper's castle is all the way to the east and he’s flying towards the west side of the underworld, where my castle is located.

Not unless he also had a word with the king whose castle is in the center. But still I can’t find the reason for him to go to the west.

Dante is living alongside some reapers and I myself used to live with him. Not until they’ve all began getting slaves and treats them like less than them.

“Gyth.” He responded. He inhaled deeply, annoyance evident in his features as if he’s not very pleased to see me.

“Look. I’ve got business in the west. I see you’re in a hurry too so we should just go our ways.” Dante said, his features tensed.

I squinted my eyes as I doubt what business he’d have in the west. As far as I know, he wouldn’t have any business there.

“Not so fast.” I said as he turned around to fly.

He looked behind briefly, enough for me to see the remorseful look in his eyes before he was gone.

I fought the urge to chase him remembering what I promised Chevel that I'd be home before it gets dark.

Dante was acting weird. He was always the cheerful one between the two of us. Today, it seemed like he wasn’t himself or maybe he just entirely changed. I guess it has been a long time since I last saw him.

I watched as his silhouette flew away before I went my way.

I decided to finish my business with the king and come back to Chevel before dusk, so I left Dante’s matter for later.

Soon enough, I arrived at the king’s castle.

I landed in front of the gate, fighting the urge to just fly directly to the king’s throne. It’s a totally disrespectful act to do. 

As usual, Denor and Drarya are guarding the gates. As soon as they caught my scent, they stepped back and the high gates of the castle opened.

I patted their heads and walked towards the doors of the castle. I wore my coat before stepping in whilst the guards stepped aside to let me through.

I looked around and met eyes with various demons with their slaves. This place never failed to make my blood boil.

I hastily ascend the stairs not minding the eyes that are watching me intently.