Chapter 7

Gyth’s POV

“Chevel I’m going out for a bit.” I said shifting my eyes beside me where she’s seating at the moment, her hands clasping together all of a sudden.

I stood up and walked towards the closet. I can sense her gaze following my movements as I do so.

Is she possibly afraid of being left alone?

Then again, she’s safe in my castle during the day. Incubuses can only disrupt dreams at night, so that won’t be a problem.

I opened the cabinet, pulling out a black shirt out of the many I have and trouser of the same shade.

I turned to the other cabinet to pick a thick coat, knowing how much colder it gets inside the king’s castle, considering how cold it already is in the underworld.

I took my scythe sitting on the corner of the room before walking out the closet.

My eyes found Chevel instantly as I stepped in. Her visibly shaking hands caught my attention.

“Chevel..” I said as I stride slowly towards her, a sigh escaping my mouth.

I didn’t knew that it would be this bad. Right there, I decided to keep the trip as short as I could.

Chevel is one of my underlings now and I don’t like them feeling unsafe in my own castle.

“I’ll be back before dusk.” I assured her as I patted her head.

“Okay..” She replied, a forced smile forming on her lips. I knew immediately that she’s feeling exactly the opposite at this very moment.

Little by little, the uncertainty of continuing this trip starts to cloud my mind. I stopped my tracks for a moment, closing my eyes as I breathe in.

Before I could even change my mind, I stepped out of the room with doubts swarming through my mind.

I found myself on the kitchen area where I immediately saw Dicarius, my familiar.

He chirpily walked towards me as he saw my figure.

“It’s that time of the month again, sir?” He asked and I nodded.

“Dicarius, you won’t be coming with me today. I’ll leave you to accompany Chevel in my room.” I said, leaning against the wall of the dining hall.

“Right away sir.” He said bowing before making his way out the dining room.

I proceeded to ascend the stairs until I reached the balcony. I took my coat off and hanged it around my arms. I stood in front of the balustrade and stretched my back.

I inhaled deeply as I spread out my wings before flying through the air.

The trip was short as what I estimated it to be, considering the fact that I can fly at the highest speed of a hundred miles per hour.

It was approximately a four-hour travel from the castle to the king and it only took me half of that.

I smirked, satisfied at my own speed as I landed in front of the tall fancy gates of the castle where two abnormally large fire-breathing dogs are drooling at my sight.

“Denor, Drarya. It’s me.” I said, staring through their eyes. The gates opened as soon as they calmed down and I walked towards the door of the castle.

I immediately wore my coat as I stepped in, feeling the abnormally cold breeze welcoming me.

All eyes on me, as I entered the large doors. I stopped in front of the guards waiting for them to let me through.

They stepped aside to make way for me as soon as they recognized my face.

As soon as I walked in, I darted my gaze towards the incubuses on the left side of the hall, searching their faces for some luck to find the one who attacked Chevel. Unfortunately, none of them looked similar enough.

I can sense eyes watching my every move as I continued walking the long path from the castle door to the staircase.

Upon reaching the staircase, I sighed as I was greeted by one of the king’s familiar, Atalia. She has a head and body of a human but has claws and wings of a bird.

In short, a harpy.

She smiled devilishly as soon as she saw me, linking her arms to mine.

“Let me accompany you to the king.” She said giddily. I never liked the way she acts like we’re closely acquainted.

As usual, the castle is filled with demons, succubuses and incubuses, and dangerous creatures of all sorts, all glaring at me as we ascended the long flight of stairs.

I can’t help but notice the slaves on their knees as the demons used their back as a resting place for their feet. I shifted my gaze on my path in annoyance.

Atalia flew besides the king as soon as we reached the room of his throne. As usual, his room has no signs of light.

I darted my vision towards the king who’s grinning as he saw me entered the room, his noticeably red eyes glowing in the dark throne room.

“Ahh, my favorite one, at last you’ve arrived.” The king said. He made a clapping sound with his hands two times and a slave came with a bottle of wine.

My eyes furrowed at the poor human’s weak state.

It has always disgust me how they treat humans as slaves and use them as much as they wanted.

“Thank you, your majesty.” I said, accepting the glass of wine handed by the slave and in return handing her the summary documents.

I noticed how much she tried to hide her terribly shaking hands. Yet again, I can’t blame them for being terrified all the time, not to mention how they are treated ruthlessly.

“You’re making me sad. Call me by my name.” He said, anticipating what comes next from my mouth.

“Fine, Lucifer.” I shrugged.

Lucifer is the king of the underworld. He’s known for his ruthless ruling and cruel punishments.

Any soul that tries to defy him will lose its body and continually roam the underworld searching for a human body to take over.

Nonetheless, the punishment is also directed towards humans. I find it low and nasty.

“Well, Gyth. Before we get to business.” He paused, an uncomfortable looking smirk forming on his lips.

“I’ve heard from my minions that you’ve been keeping a human. Is it true?” He asked, causing me to flinch. The way he knows everything about everyone is so darn irritating.

“I am.” I responded. He chuckled all of a sudden, echoing throughout the room.

“I’m glad you’ve finally decided to have slaves.” He said with a mischievous smirk. My jaw clenched at the word he dared to use.

“I prefer to call her my handmaiden, your majesty.” I said, bowing down before striding out the doors.