Chapter 49

We tiptoed our way towards the doors and left the room in complete silence.

“Are we even allowed to go out after our evening clock?” I asked as I followed him in my sleepy state.

“Of course not.” He answered back. “What?!” I screamed in the silent hallway and the weariness I was feeling completely evaporated into thin air.

“Shh. They’re going to find us out.” Vernon muttered, covering my mouth with his hand as he warily looked back and forth the hallway.

I pulled his hand from my mouth and leaned closely to his ear. “Or you’re getting us into trouble!” I whispered.

“We won’t be long.” He assured me while I doubtfully glared at him.

Sure enough, all my complaints a while ago seemed rubbish as I gleefully strolled the empty castle. After climbing a few stairs, we reached the main hall.

“I didn’t noticed how grandiose the interiors are until now!” I gleamed as we reached the main hall. It looked bigger than it really was, looking over the huge empty space.

“Right? Our minds are too focused on our training that we forgot how marvelous this castle really is.” Vernon said following me from behind.

“Now I’m embarrassed after all my protests a while ago.” I pressed my lips as I turned around to look at him.

“That makes me feel awfully delighted that I persistently invited you.” Vernon said in a teasingly proud tone while squinting his eyes. We both chuckled at our ridiculousness in the middle of an empty hall.

“Now I should fulfill my task before someone could even find us out.” Vernon said wiping away the corners of his eyes after our rounds of laughter.

“Vernon, thank you.” I suddenly mumbled, averting his attention to mine and he looked at me quite surprised.

I smiled as I stared at him with massive appreciation and he smiled back in response. I can’t believe it’s possible to meet humans just like me. It brings me so much joy that I actually made friends in a terrible situation.

“So, as you can see.” Vernon said, spreading his arms as he turned a full circle in the middle of the main hall.

“This huge grand hall and everything as far as the eyes can see is the foremost part of the castle.” Vernon said.

“As you know, the throne room is located at the uppermost portion. It is where the king dwells. And our quarters at the most bottom.” He continued as he approached the stairs while I followed suit.

He lifted his hand and pointed at the top of the stairs to which my eyes followed. “The floors above this grand hall are chambers for the king’s guests.” He said and I nodded for I’ve been there multiple times whenever Gyth invited me.

We took a left turn and continued to walk towards the west side of the castle until we reached a short bridge.

“What is this?” I gasped as I observed the bridge and noticed that it is connected to another structure. At the end of the bridge is a huge steel door.

“This is the left wing, home to hybrid and half-beast demons.” Vernon said and my eyes widened in surprise.

“You mean those horrible looking demons?” I asked as I shakily looked around the structure.

“That’s right.” Vernon answered as he himself looked quite terrified.

“I think we should go.” I said, not wanting to be seen by those horrid creatures in such circumstances, not knowing what horrendous things they’d do if they ever saw us.

We walked back the path we took and not long till we reached the main hall again. This time, Vernon turned towards the east and an identical bridge greeted us at the end.

Similar to the west wing, there’s a structure connected to the bridge but I noticed that it looked more grand and ornamented.

“This one is the right wing where succubi and incubi dwells.” Vernon explained. No wonder it looks decent and decorated. I recalled how I was deceived by their gorgeous appearance the first time I arrived in the castle. They clearly like beautiful things.

“Well that’s about it except the gardens since we really can’t go outside with the guards and all.” Vernon said as we walked back towards the main hall.

“It’s pretty much all that. It wasn’t really that brutal last week that’s why I’m also utterly shocked of our training today.” Vernon said as we wearily descended the stairs, down to our quarters.

“Goes to show my poor luck.” I sighed heavily.

“Hey, it was bound to be like this anyway. Everyone knows that by now.” Vernon said and I felt a sudden pang in my chest. It’s sad to know that everyone knows their fate by now.

“Goodnight, and thank you for showing me around.” I murmured as we reached our quarters.

“You too.” Vernon whispered back as we quietly walked towards our beds.

I was exhausted for the day that as soon as I closed my eyes, I fell into my slumber.

Waking up the next morning was never as hard as I thought it would. I felt Emily tugging my sleeves whilst Vernon calling out my name.

“I swear we’re going to get in trouble if you don’t wake up this moment.” Emily said making me spring up my bed.

“Finally.” Vernon said, letting out a sigh.

I hurriedly rushed towards the bathroom to take a quick shower as they wait for me outside.

“Let’s go.” I said to Vernon and Emily by the door as I walked out the quarters.

“There they are.” Someone murmured. I glanced around the hall to see humans alike giving us hostile glances.

“First Lady Lilith and now she dared to throw a pillow to the favored reaper’s face.” They murmured loud enough for us to hear.

“Why do they even stick with her?”

“They’re better off together; don’t you know that girl is kissing the favored reaper’s feet.”

“Ahh. What a shame for that red-haired man to hang out with such women.”

“Maybe they seduced him?”

Countless hateful murmurs from beings I least expected to hear from surrounded us and those that are listening couldn’t care less. I held Emily’s hand tightly as she cowered and Vernon immediately held our shoulders in comfort.

The henchmen led us again to the main hall and after they formed us into lines, they went to stand beside Lilith who’s already sitting on her fancy seat.

“As you all know, during the final days of your training, you will be appointed to your masters.” Lilith’s henchman began. “To make it easier for us demons to choose the slaves of our wanting, Lady Lilith proposed this event.” He continued and all of a sudden demons began marching into the main hall.

“You’ll be standing in display until a demon chooses you and you’ll be taken into the rooms next to this hall.” The henchman explained and cries of fear began filling the hall.

“As for the demons, to avoid conflict, the first ones to grab are the ones entitled and keep in mind, you’ll have exactly fifteen minutes till you can switch on to your next desired human.” The henchman said and the fear began crippling in my veins.