Chapter 21

The temptation to do it all over again is right there. The alcohol is taking over his system, which is causing his mind to become mentally unstable. He then closes his eyes and lies down on the bed, trying to imagine Ryleigh and their new child together. However, she is sad and lonely, almost lost, and he attempts to call her name. She can't hear him.

The flashes of camera's aiming at her with the paparazzi swarming like lions. A bright light blinded him, and there was nothing but darkness around him. When Rory turns around, he sees a headstone with his name on it, with the year 2029, ten years away. Layla will be sixteen, he'll be forty-two, and his child with Ryleigh will be ten. Why was that year so significant, and why was it carved on a gravestone?

When his breathing became difficult, his conscious mind demands him to wake up, but his body was not ready yet. Once he can get his mind and body to co-ordinate again, he sits back up and stares at the dugs on the table.

Rory enters the bathroom with the bag, clutching the contents tightly over the sink. His hands begin to shake, and he starts to undo the top seal. He replays the memories of Layla and Ryleigh in his mind as he resists the sinister impulse that is persuading him to take the whole bag.

When taking deep breaths, he turns on the tap to see the powder wash away.

'I won't let you down.' He says to himself while looking in the mirror, still unsteady on his feet. It gave Rory a sense of relief, knowing the drugs have disappeared.

He wanted to sleep, but the cheap static sheets he curled up in made him uncomfortable as he tried to forget about his dark thoughts. Rory's head was spinning from too many shots while lying down and tossing and turning with little chance of getting settled. He was afraid that if he closed his eyes and drifted off, the nightmares would return.

The only way he can clear his mind is to hear Ryleigh's voice, so he picks up his cell and positions it next to the empty pillow and taps her name. He wouldn't be surprised if she's awake, considering that it's almost 1 a.m. His heart pounded fast when he saw her face, lying on her side of the bed, barely awake. Ryleigh was irritated by the vibrating noise next to her bedside and decided to answer as her tired eyes began hurting from the bright blue screen.

'Talk to me baby, please.' Rory pleads as he holds onto his pillow, wishing it was her.

'Rory... what's wrong?' she says and rubs her eyes.

'I miss the sound of your voice. I can't sleep.'

She groans, 'That bad huh?'

'You wouldn't believe it.'

She grins, 'Do you want to tell me what's wrong?'

Rory hesitates, 'Feeling homesick.'

'Aww, babes, don't be. We're all good here.....It won't be long now until we get to tell the world.'

'I'm so sorry I woke you. That was selfish of me.'