Chapter 54

The doctors and nurses are happy with Rex and Ryleigh and discharged them home. Rory had everything ready to pick them up and popped by to see Kelsie. With the car carrier in one hand with Rex snuggled in and holding Ryleigh's hand in another, this is one of the exciting days Rory wants to remember. She's glowing and looks like herself again. Ryleigh appreciates how Rory has looked after her and Rex despite everything else that has been going on.

For the past few days, Rory has been in touch with his lawyer and checking up on Layla. Stacie and Cameron have been charged with attempted murder, but this could change depending on Josh's outcome. At least justice is served for them.

Ryleigh thought Rory would automatically take full care of Layla if Stacie went to prison. But it's not that simple since Stacie's parents are next in line to take her. Now since they don't like Rory, it might turn into a nasty battle, but he's willing to fight it. Whatever it takes.

Kelsie seemed exhausted and hasn't left the hospital since, as she doesn't want to abandon Josh when he needs her. Josh's breathing was monitored daily, but it hasn't improved or changed. She can tell from the doctors' concerned faces that they'll have to make a tough decision, and she'll have to be ready for the worst.

Ryleigh saw Josh for the first time in the state he's been since he came out of surgery. It troubles Ryleigh because her friend struggles with the situation right now, and she worries about how she'd feel if he died. Finally, she persuaded Kelsie to come home with them, even if it was only for a shower and a change of clothes. It breaks her heart, knowing that her friend might die at any moment while a new life has entered their world.

The house wasn't welcoming anymore, as the forensics have been taking evidence. Ryleigh's body shivers as she remembers her last days here. Even Kelsie feels the same. Rory tries to assure them that everything will be fine and that they will move again. As they step into the cold hallway, watching every corner of the room. He was dismayed when he saw Ryleigh's fear, so he uses his soothing words to direct her upstairs.

They enter the nursery, which seemed to have never been touched. Finally, and seeing it completed, Rory was pleased with what she had done and should be proud of herself. A white cot by the window, books neatly stacked on the shelf, and a colourful toy box decorate the white walls with various green geometric triangles.

At least, she is at ease in this room, where she sits in the chair next to the cot. Rory shuffles Rex into her arms after removing him from the carrier; he can see the expression on her face, and she seems distant.

'Are you ok?' he says and kneels next to her,