Chapter 53

Rory urges the child protection services to allow Layla to see her new baby brother and Ryleigh before she leaves. However, the woman couldn't stress anymore, and she will need to be removed from the situation because it is now an ongoing case. Although he is heartbroken that Layla was unable to see him for the first time, he is determined to reunite her with the rest of the family.

'Dad?' Layla stands next to the woman, frightened, and looks at Rory.

'Don't worry. I'll come back for you.' He lowers himself to her level and kisses her on the forehead.

The woman summoned her to follow her out, and his sorrow reflects on Layla. She returns her gaze to him and rushes back to him, hugging him tightly.

'Let me stay with you.' Layla whispers.

'Not right now. You have to stay with Nana.'

She sniffs as he lets go to look at her face. 'Give this to my brother, won't you?' Her kindness hits him in the chest as she offers him the teddy.

'Keep it. You can give it to him when you come home.' He kindly reinstates the teddy to her.

'But what if I don't?' He stares at her, wishing he had the answer.

'Layla, it's time to go.' The woman returns, professionally coping with the case.

Rory signals Layla that it's time to go, and as she walks away, she begins to weep, and her sobbing was echoing down the hallway. Rory sits on the floor, hands over his face, erasing what could be his last moments with Layla.

After all of the commotion, Josh's surgery was completed, and he was settled in his room. Kelsie is reluctant to enter because there are no signs of life, only his body. Rory tries to persuade her to go, but he was hesitant as well.

As they opened the door, Josh's body lay unconscious, with a tube inserted into his mouth to help him breathe. Every inch of his chest was covered in wires connected to a machine that beeps slowly. The cuts have all been washed, but the marks are still visible.