Chapter 52

They are spending some time with their little boy, savouring the moment and never wanting it to end.

Ryleigh eventually gives up the baby and allows him to sleep in his bed. Not before Rory had held him for a while and could see his nostrils absorbing the oxygen in the air around him. The baby's eyes open to look at him, and the sound of his voice causes his lips to twitch. She lies tired in front of the two people who make her happiest in the world. Ryleigh saw the joy in him, like when he looks at her, and her eyes start to droop.

'I think I'm going to sleep for a bit.' She says, and Rory comes over, stroking her hair.

'Ok... I'm going to tell Kelsie and get Layla. I'll see you in a bit.' He kisses her on the forehead and walks out of the room.

He should be jumping off the walls in the empty corridor, giddy with excitement, and then remembers he needs to call their families. Looking for the waiting room area at any sign, dreading hearing the circumstance.

He keeps clicking his fingers and focusing his thoughts in a positive direction. It astounds him how easily his emotions shifted. While on the route, he wondered how much Kelsie knew about Stacie's abuse to Ryleigh and why she had to keep it a secret.

Kelsie paces back and forth in the waiting room, and her phone clenched tightly in her hands as she refuses to sit still. She is very worried about not being able to see Josh and the fact that there have been no updates on his operation in the hopes that he will recover.

Layla comforted her for a bit and deciding not to tell her what had happened when she inquired about Josh's whereabouts. The delight of her expecting to see her step-sibling soon makes Kelsie excited too.

Layla was tired, so she wrapped herself in her coat and cuddled her brother's teddy bear.

Kelsie's ears perk up as the double doors open. She is relieved to see a familiar face because she knows he would bring good news to distract her from her dark thoughts.

'It's a boy.' Rory says.

'Oh my god, congrats.' Kelsie hugs him, 'How is she?'

'She's all good and is having a nap.' Over her back, he notices his little girl sleeping. 'It's been a long day.'