Chapter 36

She'll have to hand Layla back to Stacie, but not without a fight. With the baby on the way, Ryleigh doesn't need any more tension, but Layla is family and will do whatever it takes to keep her safe.

She sits with Kelsie in the dining room, planning to convince Stacie to come clean and explain what they can do to help. Kelsie is her best friend, and she wouldn't know what she would do if she didn't have her.

'Ok, so, if Layla says what is true and Stacie says she's right. We could have an obligation to keep Layla under Stacie's consent until her matters with this guy are sorted.' Kelsie says.

'Great, I think she would do for her daughter's sake.'

'You know, this would be better if Rory knows...it would make it securer.'

'I know, but I don't want this on him while he's in his element. He would just quit the tour and come back all angry and stressed....he doesn't think straight when he's like that.' Ryleigh says and believes she can sort this without him.

'You shouldn't be stressed right now, with the baby will be here soon and-'

'We've got to get this sorted. I don't want Layla hurt anymore. That girl does not need this in her life. No child should.'

Kelsie nodded. Ryleigh rummages through her pockets and searches the table for her phone.

'Damn it, must have left it in the office.'

She attempts to get out of her chair, but holding an additional ten pounds makes it more difficult.

'I'll get it for you. Where is it?' Kelsie says and sees her friend struggling with the simple things.

'Thanks, K, it's on the desk. Should be easy to spot.'

She makes her way to the other side of the house, where she discovers the office. Kelsie tuts, looking at the untidy mishmash of papers scattered around. She wishes she could let her sort it and walks over to the phone on the desk, which she can see, and takes it. Ryleigh's phone lights up with a missed call from Rory, but her gaze shifts to the California state logo, which indicates important documents.

She isn't nosy, but they have a reputation to uphold, and she wants to keep them out of trouble. Her gaze drawn to the top of the paper, with the words "Certificate of Adoption" are written in large letters. Her eyes rolled, and she thought Ryleigh was attempting to keep Layla with her in any way possible.

When she looks further down the document, she notices that something isn't quite right. The first part, covered in Ryleigh's handwriting, and is for the biological parents to fill out. Rory's full name is in the "natural" father section, and her full name is in the "natural" mother section. The baby's name and gender are also missing. Kelsie's blood began to boil, and she charged back into the dining room.

Ryleigh fiddles with her fingernails as her leg twitches, running through on what she should say to Stacie next. Her first intention is to keep Layla here and not take her back, but Stacie would reject the idea and class it as kidnapping or held hostage. It scares Ryleigh that Stacie would say something like that. She hears Kelsie come back and stands over the table.