Chapter 28

Ryleigh's face fell with shock as there is some truth, but as Layla never went into detail, it made Stacie assumed the worst.

'Layla, get in the car please.' Stacie instructs her, and she obeys. Layla takes another look at Ryleigh and notices guilt on the young girl's face, but she's unsure why her mother is so frustrated. Once the door shuts, it was time for Ryleigh to speak the truth.

'It was an accident, she was on the swings-'

'You'll give any excuse to get out of it, won't you? Like last time, trying to show this perfect life. You're clearly not fit to look after a child.'

Her harsh voice and aggressive tone ran straight through Ryleigh's soul as the way Stacie spoke ticked a nerve in her.

'Listen, I don't like the way you're talking to me right now. I suggest you cut that tone with me before I-'

'What call Rory? It's no point, and once I tell him that you hit Layla on purpose, you don't stand a chance....' Ryleigh fell silent, as she had allowed Stacie to take control of her own actions, '...That's what I thought.' She looked at her cheap manicure for a second, 'So... I'm thinking 3,000 dollars, and I'll keep quiet.'

'I'm not doing this with you.' Ryleigh tensed.

'Oh, but you'll have to.... one phone call, and you're done,' she snaps her fingers, 'Just like that.'

'Fine.' She mutters, 'I'll get it over this evening.'

'There is also one thing....' Stacie pauses, '...Give your child up for adoption.'

'What?' Ryleigh clutches her baby bump with both hands, 'No!'

'Yes, you will. No matter what way this goes, it'll hurt Rory.'

'What are you saying?'

'You've been paying me to keep quiet of the lies that you've done while Layla has been in your care. What's he going to think of that? The way I see it - it's the only way.' Stacie's obnoxious tone and smirk irritated her.

She was right; Rory would be crushed. After everything that had happened, all of her manipulations and just handing over the cash was never enough. Trusting her with Layla all this time, and it'll all go away, no matter what story he hears.

Rory would leave Ryleigh in a heartbeat, and he'd do it well, as he did when she told him she was pregnant, and he ignored her. Her fear of him leaving makes her even more upset. Ryleigh jumps and holds back tears when she hears Kelsie's car horn.

'I'll hope to see the papers after the baby is born...' Stacie opens her car door, '...or else.' then she gets in her car and drives away.

Ryleigh pulls herself together and gets into the car, running everything through her mind.