Chapter 47

It was late at night, and both passengers were soundly sleeping, listening to the wind humming against the vehicle. Just a long straight road home, and everyone will be together. It's also good to be back with Ryleigh after he caused her so much grief. At the very least, it wasn't him who was turning now; Cameron was doing it.

He was never on good terms with Stacie when he got out of prison. She seemed to hold him back over the years as he built his music career, always blaming him for being too busy to spend time with Layla. All he was doing was making a better life for himself and his daughter.

Rory thinks Cameron must of clicked on by his remark Layla is with him. Not long after, Stacie called. He didn't want to respond, not with his daughter in the car, because they would be exchanging some foul words. He would never argue when she was around, as he had seen it too many times with his parents. The messages come through at the top of the screen and he can read the first two lines,

"HOW DARE YOU TAKE LAYLA AWAY! YOU'LL BE SORRY!"

"I CAN SEND YOU BACK BEHIND BARS...."

"... YOU'LL NEVER SEE YOUR CHILD AGAIN!"

Stacie may be livid right now, but he had good reason to take her. Call it shellfish or kidnapping, but his love for Layla is unconditional. No parent would let them suffer and would go to any length to protect them.

Rory is doing that now that Cameron has entered into their picture. Someone to be so wicked, mean and twisted, as the violence evidently shows on Josh's face, leaving unforgettable and damaging scars.

Through it all, Josh may have taken the beaten and been in the front line of it all, but he would damn well do it again. All he wants is Kelsie to be safe, it's all he has right now, and a world without her is a world he doesn't want to live in.

Josh's neck stiffens as the pain remerges from taking a long nap, along with a sore head. Grunting and moaning a little, the injury was getting too much. He grabs the packet of tablets, with all the holes viscously pierced.

'Oh god....it hurts.' He squeals as the shooting pain in his front abdomen throbs.