Chapter 40

Taking Layla back is not keeping Ryleigh's mind occupied as she tries to figure out what's going on with Stacie and her "boyfriend." She has been totally ignoring her phone, despite the fact that she receives messages from Rory nearly ten times a day.

When the phone rings, she ignores it but always glances at the text messages. Every time she reads them, all she wants to do is weep. Ryleigh puts on a brave face for Layla, hiding away that she is not on speaking terms with her dad.

Layla's eyes are filled with guilt for revealing her mother's secret. To help her feel safe and protected, Ryleigh takes her hand and squeezes it gently, assuring her that everything will be fine. On the other hand, Kelsie is concerned that she is taking on too much as Ryleigh's emotions differ.

Rory has been calling Kelsie to get updates, and he is concerned about her well-being. Part of her wants to tell him the truth, but it would be another pile of problems that will need sorting out too.

This would be simpler if she could persuade Ryleigh to involve Rory because it would help them reconnect. Ryleigh, on the other hand, wants to do it on her own to prove that she handle it even when Rory isn't here.

They arrive at the gas station, where Stacie is waiting for them. Ryleigh looks over her shoulder and sees Layla, who has a worried look.

'Layla, I want you to stay here for a minute, ok? We want to talk to your mum.' She nods, still anxious. 'Don't worry. I'm here.' Ryleigh places her hand on her knee to comfort her, and Layla smiles back.

A stinging pain went to her chest, as she looks like Rory when she does that. She sighs and steps out of the car cautiously.

'You sure you want to do this?' Kelsie whispers as they get closer.

'Something needs to be done. I can't let her go with someone who is hurting her.'

When they get close to Stacie, she eventually looks up from her phone.

'Where's Layla?'

'She's still in the car....can we talk a second?' Ryleigh asks.

'Not until you bring me my daughter back.' Stacie demands.

'Not until you tell us what's happening with this boyfriend of yours and what is he doing to you both.'

'I don't know what you mean.' Stacie stumbles.

'Layla told us.' Kelsie said, 'Those bruises...they don't seem like they were an accident.'

When she spoke, Ryleigh looked over to thank her for her assistance.

'She's been falling over on the playground a lot...they do some heavy sports too.'

'Oh come on, we don't buy that! Is this guy threatening you? Is this why you've been asking me for money, so you can have enough money to get you and Layla away from him?' Ryleigh says.