Chapter 45

Hiring a car that is not to his taste and is small and dirty, but it is the best he could get on short notice. The plan is to drive to the airport and then a five-hour journey back to L.A. He makes sure Josh is settled in the passenger seat and taken painkillers, with his wounds clean. Josh gives the flight information and hopes that Stacie and Layla are already there.

Rory's phone is in the phone holder used as a sat-nav, and Cameron's name pops up. The blood in his veins began to boil as he trusted him, and the instant hate for him is there, raging in his eyes. Rory leaves it and waits for it to stop. His name pops up again, and the constant ringing of his phone disturbs Josh.

'You're not going to answer it?'

'Not to that son of a bitch.' Rory curses.

'I don't think he will stop until you answer.' He says with his eyes still shut and covered with a blanket. Rory sighs, knowing he'll have to answer it because the sat nav is disappearing.

'Mate, where are you? Why didn't you go to soundcheck?'

He wishes Cameron can see his face right now and clenches at the steering wheel, imagining it's him he is strangling.

'I'm caught up with something...The gig is cancelled.'

'What? Why, what's happening?'

'I have to go somewhere, and I'll be speaking to my label... you're fired.' Rory tells him directly and hangs up.

Finally, he switches his phone to airplane mode and takes a few deep breaths. By doing so, he is scared of not reaching Ryleigh and needs to keep them updated.

'Josh, is your phone working?'

He opens his eyes and tries to click any buttons that the broken phone allows him to press, leading to sharp edges cutting his index finger. The phone isn't working, and the battery is nearly dead.

'I think the microphone works. I'll push the button, tell it what to do.' Josh extends his hand far enough for it to hear him.