Chapter 57

'V?' He says, and she's dressed in a black coat with the collar turned up and sunglasses over her eyes.

'Hey...can I come in?' She asks feverishly, and he steps aside for her. As Rory closes the door, she takes a look around, acknowledging that their home was cosy and spacious.

'What brings you here?' As he closes the door with Valentina's back to him.

She lets out a sigh and takes off her glasses. 'I think there is something I should tell you.' She turns around, and he notices the dark circles under her eyes.

'Hey, why don't you sit down with us and explain everything. We'll put the kids to bed a minute.'

She nods.

Rory enters the living room, explaining Valentina's arrival and suggesting putting the children to bed. Layla gathers herself together without hesitation and joins Rory, with Ryleigh and Rex close behind.

Valentina stayed in the hallway, looking nervous, so Ryleigh did her best to greet her. She offers her to remove her coat and offers her a cup of tea or coffee.

Her hair was down and wavy, and she wore a black woollen jumper and denim jeans that fit her perfectly. Despite her rejection, Ryleigh hands Rex over to Rory while bringing Valentina into the kitchen and offering her a glass of water.

It did not take Rory long to get the kids to sleep, but he did wonder if Valentina is alright with people she has heard of but not met in person. Apart from Josh, and with Ryleigh welcoming her, he shouldn't be concerned with anything.

Valentina is astounded at how kind she was after accepting a glass of water and starting a polite conversation. These people are rare. When they step into the living room, she recognises Josh and becomes disturbed by the incident. She is brave enough to keep her tears at bay.

Rory finally came back and waits.

'Ok...' Valentina starts '... It looks like Cameron has played us. He wanted me to seduce you, but at the time, he kept telling me that you had a thing for me... I wasn't sure at first, but then I started to believe him, and he just said you were shy about it.