Chapter 4 || Thinking out loud

Scarlett's POV

Kaylee stopped by my house to talk about Axel. They went on a date and, normally, she comes by to gossip and tell me how perfect Axel is and how good he is to her but tonight was different.

"Hi Kay!" I greeted her.

"I need to talk to you." She looked confused and kinda sad.

"What's wrong?"

She sighed. "Do you think Axel is still the same guy we met?" Her eyes looked so glossy. She had probably been crying.

"He's not." I held her hand. "People change. Do you think you are the same person you used to be?"

She looked straight into my eyes. "I just need to know if he really loves me."

I hugged her. "I believe he does. You two have been dating for two years now and relationships tend to become... uneventful. Doesn't mean he stopped loving you just because you don't talk as much or stopped doing really cheesy things." I smiled. "You two are a really cute couple."

She hugged me back. "Nick asked me why I was still with Axel if he made me unhappy."

"I love Nick but he's never been in a relationship so he doesn't understand that sometimes we need to work it out. An obstacle is not the end of the world." I paused. "Were you thinking of breaking up with Axel?"

"I don't know what I was thinking. I just know I feel so much better after this little chat." She smiled.

I smiled back. "I'm glad. Do you want something to drink?" I asked.

"A soda is fine."

I handed her the soda and she took a sip. "Why were you with Nick today?" I asked curious.

"We went to the mall." She took another sip. "Speaking of Nick... I think he has a crush on a girl." Kaylee smiled devious.

"Who?"

"I think her name is Dora... or whatever. I never pay much attention to his blabbing." She said rolling her eyes.

"You're the blabber!" I laughed.

"Hey!" She pretended to be shocked and hurt. "It's nice to know who my real friends are."

We both burst into laughter. "You only mock the ones you love."

She stuck her tongue out. "Shut up loser."

Kaylee stayed the night. We watched sappy rom-coms and imagined what would be like to date Ryan Gosling. I couldn't stop wondering about Nick and his new "crush". I shouldn't think about that but Nick was my best friend and I wanted to make sure this girl was good enough for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, I woke up on the floor. Kaylee was hogging my bed, as usual, so I threw a pillow at her and jumped on the bed to wake her up. This girls sleeps more than a bear during hibernation. She slapped my arm and I pulled her hair.

"Good morning sleepy head!" I smiled at her and she groaned. Kaylee was very moody in the morning, God.

"Shut up! Must... Sleep... Now!" Her hands were covering her eyes so I opened the blinds.

"We have class!" I yelled. "Besides, I wanna meet Nick's crush." I said smiling.

"Go away!" She threw a pillow at me.

"Fine! Although I think you should get your ass off my bed and get ready to meet up with Axel." I said uninsterested.

"What?!" She got up in an instant.

"Yeah. Axel is coming here to pick you up, but you're too lazy..."

She cut me off. "Shut your pie hole and let me borrow a fucking dress." Her smile was bright and her eyes were glowing. She paused for a moment. "This was all a trick, wasn't it?"

I started to laugh. "Yup!"

Kaylee came towards me with a menacing expression on her face. "You're such a bitch!"

I smiled. "Thanks."

She sighed and put on my vintage short sleeve red dress. I curled her hair and did her makeup.

"You're driving us to school, right?" She asked.

"Yeah. I just need to text Nick." I smiled.

Stop by my house. I'm your ride. - Scar

"Done." I said and she looked herself in the mirror.

"I look cute." She smiled. "You kinda have really nice outfits in your closet." This was a typical Kaylee compliment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We went outside and Nick was already waiting on my front porch. I smiled at him and hugged him. Kaylee did the same.

"You two take a long time to get ready." Nick complained.

"But don't we look nice?" Kaylee asked pouting.

"I guess..." He looked away.

"Are you blushing, Nicholas Marshall?" Kaylee teased.

"Stop embarrassing him!" I scolded her. We got inside the car and I started the engine. "So Kay told me about your friend Dora."

"Nora."

"What?" I asked confused.

"Her name is Nora and she is very interesting." He looked out the window. "I invited her to have lunch with us."

"Cool." I said, not really meaning it.

"She looked pretty." Kaylee smiled.

"Very pretty." Nick confirmed.

"Maybe we can triple date." I suggested, again, not really meaning it.

"Sounds fun." He said sarcastically.

"We're going on a triple date. We're going on a triple date." Kaylee chanted while clapping her hands.

The rest of the car ride was silent until I parked outside school. Zane was already waiting for me. I gave him a quick peck on the lips and we walked inside with our fingers entwined. I looked behind and saw Nick waiting for someone. Could my best friend be in love?