Chapter 37 || Ain't it fun

Zane's POV

Talking to Scarlett reminded me of how much of an ass I was to her. Maybe after this we could get back together cause I really loved her, even though I don't deserve a girl as great as her.

The next day I went to school and when I arrived, the guys were talking about the score book we ran every year. You see, us jocks are pretty basic. Everytime we hook up with a girl we rank her by looks, kissing, fashion sense, girlfriend material and hot sex. I think almost every girl in this school is in the book. That's a stupid thing to do but at least I didn't rank Scarlett.

"Why are you guys checking the score book?" I asked.

"Wes is searching for a girl." Kyle said.

"Which girl?" I asked with a smirk.

"Can't tell." Wes looked away.

"Why? It's not like you're looking for Scarlett." I laughed.

"Yeah..." He trailed off.

Suddenly it hit me. "Are you looking for Scarlett's score? I never ranked her and even if I did, she's mine."

"You broke up with her. Besides, she's hot!" Wes smirked.

"Back off!" I yelled.

"Or what, Zane? You're a big pussy." Wes provoked me.

I laughed. "Did he just call me a pussy?" I grabbed him by his shirt and punched him. "Stay away from Scarlett!" I yelled and walked away.

I walked to my locker and saw Scarlett talking to Kaylee. We smiled at each other and I took my books from the locker and went to class. Wes was pushing it but I can take care of him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After school, Scarlett approached me and we got inside my car. We were going to the mall to see Ellie.

"So I heard you beat up Wes." Scarlett brought up casually.

"It was just a punch." I said nonchalantly.

"What did he do? I mean, you hate violence so he must have done something really bad."

"He disrespected you and I had to shut him up." I said without looking at her.

She smiled. "You beat him for me?" She started laughing.

"What?" I asked looking at her.

"You never did that while we were dating." She pointed out.

"Can you just drop it?" I asked focusing on the road again.

"Fine." She smiled again.

Wes was being an ass and I still feel the need to protect Scarlett. He will never have Scarlett.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at the mall and spotted Axel at the food court. He was alone and I was wondering what happened to Ellie.

"Hey Ax!" I greeted him.

He smiled. "What are you two doing here?"

"Well..."

Scarlett interrupted me. "Zane wanted to talk."

"Are you two getting back together?" He asked.

"Maybe." Scarlett looked at me. "So are you alone?"

"No. Ellie is shopping for clothes and told me to wait here for her. She knows how I hate shopping." He smiled.

"I'm dying to meet Ellie." Scarlett smiled.

"Yeah, so am I" I agreed.

"Actually, I feel like Ellie may need company with the shopping spree. She's in that store over there." Axel pointed to the store.

"Cool." Scarlett smiled and got up.

"Hey, Zane can we talk?" Axel asked.

"Sure man." I said.

"I'm going now. You two talk!" Scarlett left to enter the store.

"Sup man?" I asked.

He looked at me. "What do you know about Flynn Rosewood?" He asked.

"You mean the new guy who's dating Kaylee?" I smirked. "The only thing I know is that he's british."

"Fuck!"

"Why do you want to know?" I asked.

"I just need to make sure he's good enough for Kaylee." Axel confessed.

I stared at him. "I'm sorry but it's not your place to judge. After the shenanigans you pulled, she's better off with him."

"Look, I know I was a fuck up but I loved Kaylee for real and I care about her." He looked serious.

"I know man, but she seems happy."

"Cool. I want her to be happy." He smiled.

Axel was a good guy and he truly loved Kaylee. Maybe they can still be together when Axel gets his shit together and Kaylee stops being so damn stubborn. One day, we will laugh at their fight during their wedding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the parking lot waiting for Scarlett but she was taking too long. Girls can never be trusted around clothes and accessories.

"Sorry for taking so long." She smiled.

"It's okay. So...?" I was anxious.

"Ellie is Heather. I mean she looks exactly like Heather but her behavior is so not like Heather's." She looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Heather was mysterious and enigmatic. Everything she said was kinda like a riddle and even though she was pretty, she always looked terrible. But Ellie is full of life, nice and sweet. Her skin glows and she smiles all the time." She paused. "I don't think they're the same person."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I'm saying that Ellie could be just Heather's doppelgänger." She pointed out.

So Ellie is Ellie and Heather is still missing. That was disappointing but at least I got my answer. Heather is not in Sacramento and I didn't have to worry about my lie being uncovered.