Chapter 61 || Scar tissue

Kaylee's POV

After almost kissing Nick I felt so guilty for betraying Flynn. My feelings for Nick were escalating and my feelings for Flynn were exactly the same. I didn't love Flynn but I liked him a lot. Now that I was fighting with Scarlett, I had no one to talk to so I decided to talk to my parents about an even bigger issue: my adoption.

"Mom, dad! Can we all talk?" I asked a little scared.

"Of course sweetie!" My mom smiled.

"What's bugging you?" My dad asked.

I sighed. "Remember my trip to Los Angeles during spring break?"

"Sure." My mom answered.

"Something happened and I never told you guys because I was afraid." I looked down.

My dad stood up. "What happened, Kaylee?" He seemed angry. "Did you...?"

My mom tried to calm him down. "Calm down Steve. Let Kaylee speak and stop overreacting!" She looked at me. "Explain yourself."

"I saw Heather and we talked." I blurted out.

"Your sister Heather?" My dad sat down in shock.

"How is she? Is she okay? Why didn't you tell us before?" My mom kept asking.

"Heather is fine. She told me that I was adopted." I was hurt.

"Oh, honey..." My mom hugged me. "How did Heather find out?"

"Does it matter?" I raised my voice. "I want to know why you kept this from me and who my birth parents are." I demanded.

My dad finally spoke. "Just because you're not our biological daughter doesn't mean we don't love you like you were our own blood. Kaylee, sweetie, we wanted to protect you."

"People seem to think they are protecting by hiding stuff from me. I can handle the truth and I'm not a kid anymore! You were supposed to be honest with me but you both betrayed my trust. You broke our bond and that lie tore our family apart." I said.

"Kaylee, your adoption was complicated. We had Heather and she was still a baby but we loved you way before you were born." My mom held my hand.

"Who are my birth parents?" I asked.

"They were both teenagers and your birth mother's parents wanted her to have an abortion but she refused." My dad explained.

My mom procceeded. "And they were our neighbors so we decided to help. Since Heather was an only child we made the decision to adopt you and we did everything we could to help the poor girl. She lived with us for a while and took care of Heather while we were working."

"If you want to know everything about your parents, I have the adoption papers and their files. There's an address, their names and everything you need to know." My dad said.

"Just know that we love you and we really wanted to protect you."

I hugged both my parents. "I love you too and it doesn't matter that you're not my biological parents. I just got upset because you hid that from me. You lied and that drove Heather away."

"It was never our intention." My dad said while looking at me.

This honest conversation with my parents was amazing. It opened up my eyes and now there are no more lies between us. I just needed someone to talk to and I immediately thought about Scarlett and Nick.

________________________________________________________________

After the school year was over, I decided to have a serious conversation with Nick. Our friendship was too valuable to lose over a stupid move I made without thinking. My feelings for him shouldn't come between our long friendship. I went over to his house and he opened the door.

I smiled. "Hi!"

"Hi!" He stared at me with his big brown eyes.

"We have to talk. I mean, I have something big to tell you." I looked away.

"Okay. I'm all ears." He smiled and we went to his room.

When I entered his room, I sat on his bed. "My parents told me the truth about my adoption. I know who my birth parents are."

He smiled. "That's amazing! So what did you find out?" He asked.

"Well, my mother is Jane Kamynski ad my father is Adrian Gilbert. They were teenagers when I was born and they gave me up so I could have a better life." I explained. "I want to find them. Will you help me?" I asked.

He paused and stood up. "You can count me in! We're gonna find your birth parents." He smiled.

I jumped out of bed and hugged him tight. Suddenly, my lips crashed into his and we were son in sync. "OMG! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry Nick!"

I grabbed my purse and left. i kissed Nick and that was such a mistake. What was wrong with me? He was my best friend and I ruined everything. My life is over! Whe I arrived at my car I saw someone leaning on it.

"Heather!" I smiled and hugged her.

My sister was here! She was back home and now I had someone to talk to. My parents were gonna be so happy! Our family was now complete.