Chapter 33 || Don't dream it's over

Nick's POV

The next day I texted Kaylee telling her I wanted to drive them to school. They haven't seen my driving skills yet and I felt confident.

"Sup Nicky?" Kaylee smiled and kissed my cheek.

"That is not a work, Kay!? I smirked and she pouted.

"Just chill Nicky boy! Are you that uptight in bed?" She winked at me.

"Actually I'm always relaxed when I'm in bed." I gave her a confused look.

"You naughty boy!" She nudged my arm.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I said.

She looked at me. "Haven't you and Nora slept together?"

"What? No!" I was shocked.

"You need to step up your game, Nicky." She smiled.

Scarlett showed up. "Hey Scar!" I smiled.

"Hey!" She said.

She took off her sunglasses and Kaylee gasped. "You look awful, Scar!"

"I didn't sleep much." She replied.

"Why not? Studies say you need to sleep as much as you can so you get energy to work and study." I told her.

"Yeah, I just wasn't feeling it." She gave me a weak smile.

"Bullshit! What's wrong?" Kaylee asked.

"Just leave me the fuck alone, okay?" Scarlett opened the car door and entered.

"Fine!" Kaylee sighed.

I started the car. "We're here for you if you need." I smiled through the rearview mirror.

"Thanks." She looked outside the window. "Zane broke up with me."

"What?" Kaylee turned to face her. "Why?"

"Apparently he's been lying to me about a mysterious matter that he won't discuss with me." Scarlett put her glasses back on.

"Fuck him!" Kaylee said smiling at Scarlett.

The rest of the car ride was the same. Kaylee would sing off key to cheer Scarlett up and she would smile from time to time but it was just for show. I could tell that Scar was really devastated over her breakup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at school and Nora was waiting for me. She walked towards me and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

"Good morning!" She smiled.

"Hi!" I replied while embracing her.

"I'm going inside." Scarlett said. "Hey Nora!"

"Hey!" Nora smiled.

"I'm coming with you." Kaylee told Scarlett and looked at me.

"What's wrong with them?" Nora asked.

"Zane broke up with Scarlett." I responded.

"The odds of them being together were very low." Nora said.

"How so?" I asked intrigued.

"Well, Scarlett is a nice and smart girl. Zane is a dimwitted football player. What do they have in common besides popularity and good looks?" Nora pointed out.

"I never thought about it."

"Really?" She asked confused.

"I've been focused on you." I smiled.

"That's sweet!" She kissed my cheek.

Maybe Nora was right. Zane and Scarlett were never a perfect match like Nora and I are but that didn't mean Zane was a bad guy and that Scarlett couldn't make things work with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During lunch I spotted Scarlett and Kaylee sitting on our table and I sat next to them.

"Where's Nora?" Kaylee asked.

"She had a lunch meeting with the decathlon team." I answered.

"I she really that smart?" Kaylee raised an eyebrow.

I laughed. "Yeah, but I'm smarter." I pointed my plastic fork at her.

The girls laughed until they saw Zane walk into the cafeteria with Maisie, Kyle and another girl.

"Did he break up with me because of that girl?" Scarlett asked.

"She's not even that pretty!" Kaylee exclaimed.

"Actually she's very pretty." I said and the girls stared at me. "What?"

"You're supposed to say that she's ugly to comfort your best friend." Kaylee pointed out.

"Oh, yeah... in that case she's really ugly. I wouldn't tap that." I said with a disgusted face. "How was that?" I smiled.

"That was spot on, Nicky!" Kaylee smiled.

Next thing we know Scarlett was crying and Kaylee hugged her. I stared at Zane and then got up and walked towards him.

"Zane!" I called his name.

"Hey man!" He smiled and I punched him right in the face but my hand hurt.

"You shouldn't have messed around with Scarlett." I said and then walked away.

"What was that for?" Scarlett asked.

"I said I was here for you and I always keep my promises." I said and kissed her forehead.

I have never hit anyone before but Scarlett didn't deserve to be dumped. Zane wasn't a bad person but Scarlett always comes first.