Chapter 28 || Christmas wrapping

Kaylee's POV

I went to the mall with Scarlett and Nick to buy some last minute presents. Every I bought a present for Heather even though she would never get them. I never talk about my sister because she hurt my family, but at the same time I worry about her every day. It kills me to know that she may be hurt or dead.

"Are you okay, Kaylee?" Scarlett asked.

I fake smiled. "I'm fine."

"We should make our wishes and throw a penny on the fountain." Nick suggested.

"That's a good idea!" Scarlett smiled.

Every I wish for the same thing: that Heather is okay and happy somewhere in this forsaken world.

"What did you wish for?" Nick asked me.

"For more clothes." I lied.

"That is so typical!" Scarlett mocked.

I could never tell my friends how I really felt regarding my sister because I know they would try to find her. If she's alive and well I would bitch slap her for all the shit she put me through, but if she was dead I would get depressed and I would never forgive myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got home and my parents were waiting for me. Last time that happened was to tell me about Heather's disappearance.

"What happened?" I asked.

My mother hugged me. "Nothing. We're just happy that your grades were so good this semester."

"That's all? You scared me!" I let out a sigh of relief and smiled.

"Your mother and I talked and decided to buy you a new car." My dad smiled.

"Are you kidding?" I immediately hugged them. "I love you guys!"

"Well, you worked hard, Kaylee. You know that we always give you things when you deserve."

"But a new car? That's huge!" I said.

"You've been so sad lately because of Axel that we thought you needed something to smile about. What's better than a new car?" My mother stroke my hair.

"Can I pick any car I want?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Of course, honey." My father smiled. "Now I have to go to the office." He kissed my forehead and left.

My dad works so hard! He's always at the office and is rarely home, but when he is he treats me like a princess. I love my parents, despite all their flaws.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas - 3 years ago

"You look so pretty with that dress, Heather!" I said smiling.

"So do you." Heather smiled and we hugged.

"We need to surprise our parents with the best Christmas ever." I told her.

"Yeah." She paused. "What did you wish at the fountain?" She asked.

"I wished for us to be always best friends." I smiled. "What about you?"

"I wished for the perfect Christmas with you, mom and dad." She smiled and ate a cranberry.

We started decorating the whole house while waiting for our parents to arrive from work. Dad was stuck at the office as usual and mom was still at the airport trying to get tickets for a trip.

"Can you go to dad's office and steal his Christmas list? I bet he has all the presents he's giving us there?" I suggested.

"I'm so proud of my little mischievous sister!" Heather smiled and walked towards dad's office.

A while later, she ran upstairs with tears in her eyes and I followed her. She seemed upset and I was worried.

"What's wrong, Heather?" I asked outside her room.

"Leave me alone!" She yelled.

"You didn't get what you wanted?"

"I got more than I bargained for. Just let it go!"

"I got you something. Open the door Heather!" I said.

"If you don't leave me alone, I will beat you up." She threatened me.

"I'll just leave it here at your door." I dropped the small box and walked to my room.

Inside the box was a snow globe I asked mom to bring from New York. Heather collected snow globes, she always said they were magical and very beautiful. That was the last Christmas I spent with my sister.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas - Present day

My parents and I were eating Christmas waffles made by my mom and they were delicious. Suddenly I heard a car pulling outside my house. Who could it be?

"Why don't you go outside, Kaylee?" My dad asked.

"Okay." I said while grabbing my jacket.

When I got outside, the car I picked this week was just outside my door and it was even more gorgeous than when I saw it at the dealership.

"Is this for real?" I was so surprised.

"Merry Christmas sweetheart!" My dad hugged me and my mom was almost in tears.

"I can't believe you went all out this year."

"We know how much you love Christmas and we wanted this one to be special." My mom said.

"It really is special." I agreed.

"I have something else for you." My mom said.

"What is it?" I asked.

She handed me a box. "Open it!"

I opened the box and inside was a Los Angeles snow globe. "This was Heather's thing."

"I know how you miss your sister. Just take it!" She smiled and we hugged.

This was actually a really awesome Christmas for me. I got a car and also got something Heather liked. She was right, snow globes are magical. Merry Christmas!