Chapter 20 || Try

Scarlett's POV

During class I remembered what Nick told me about Heather. I saw her at the mall. I know that was her because Heather was known for her long legs and shiny blonde hair. I was determined to prove to Nick that Heather was back in Sacramento.

I went home after school and did my homework. A few hours later, my sister called me out because Zane was in the living room.

"Hey Zane!" I hugged him and kissed his cheek.

"Sup babe?" He smiled.

"I was just finishing my homework. Did we have something planned?" I asked confused.

"No." He grabbed my waist. "But I was missing you." He gave me a quick peck on the lips. "You've been kinda distant. Have I done something wrong?"

I looked into his beautiful eyes. "No, you've been perfect but I have stuff on my mind."

"Well, since Nick is not helping me I do need your detective skills." I smiled.

"Alright. What's the case?" He asked with a smirk.

"Kaylee's missing sister. I saw her at the mall the other day and Nick doesn't believe me."

"What's her name?" He asked.

"Heather." Suddenly he became as white as my bedroom door. "Are you okay?" I held his hand.

"Do you have a picture of her?"

"No, but I can take one from Kaylee." I smiled and he smiled back.

Nick wasn't on my side but I had a great boyfriend who was willing to help me. I was gonna prove Nick he was wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day after school I went to Kaylee's house to get a picture of Heather. Kaylee and I haven't talked in a while and she seemed weird.

"I think I forgot my white cardigan here. Can I look for it in your bedroom?" I asked.

"Sure." She replied.

"So how are you?" I asked while searching for the 'cardigan'.

"I'm fine." I could tell she was lying.

I stopped my search and sat next to her. "Don't lie to me!"

"I thought I was pregnant with Axel's baby." She looked down.

I hugged her. "Did you tell him?"

"I did and his reaction was terrible. Nick helped me out though and it turns out I'm not pregnant." She smiled.

"Why did you tell Nick and not me?" I was hurt.

"Because you were distant and I didn't want to worry you without being sure."

"So Nick helped you?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

She smiled. "Yes. He was amazing!"

"Kay, are you crushing on Nicky?" I laughed.

She blushed. "No! That's so absurd. He's like a brother."

"Okay." I smiled. "I'm thirsty!"

"Do you want a soda?" She asked.

"Yeah." I smiled.

She stood up. "I'll go get it."

When she left, I searched through her drawers and found a picture of her and Heather. "Eureka!" I smiled.

"Here's the soda!" She handed me the can.

"Thanks. I didn't find the cardigan but I have to go meet Zane at the mall." I grabbed my things. "Talk to you later." I smiled and hugged her.

I had what I needed to identify the girl from the mall. This quest was just starting and Nick was about to be proven wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I arrived at the mall, I went straight to the food court to meet Zane. He was waiting for me and having coffee.

"Sorry I'm late. I had to chat with Kaylee." I smiled.

"It's okay." He smiled back. "I was feeling a little off today but you definitely turned me on." He smirked.

I smiled. "Stop it! I have Heather's picture here."

"Show it to me!" He asked.

"Here!" I handed him the picture. "She's the blonde one."

His face once again turned pale. "Oh..."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just..." He smiled. "It's nothing."

"Are you sure?" I was concerned.

"Yeah. I'm just tired because of football practice." He held my hand.

"You know our goal, right? We need to find her."

"We will." He gave me a reassuring smile and squeezed my hand.

It was comforting to know that Zane was by my side and I could trust him. He didn't know the whole story but I promised Nick I would keep it a secret. It killed me to lie to Kaylee but it was for her own good.