Chapter 47 || Hideaway

Nick's POV

Nora and I were heading to the museum. I decided to make a reservation at a nice restaurant before going to the museum so we could spend some time together. We arrived and our table was ready, right by the window.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" I asked.

"Yes. I'm actually enjoying Los Angeles for the first time." She smiled.

I looked at her. "You don't have very fond memories of your hometown, do you?"

She looked away. "Not really. You wouldn't have either if you were bullied every single day at school." She furrowed her eyebrows.

I grabbed her hand. "You don't have to worry. I understand exactly what you've been through. I used to be bullied but Scarlett and Kaylee were always defending. It's better when you have friends." I smiled.

"You're the sweetest boyfriend!" She said smiling.

The waitress stopped by and asked for order. We ordered penne carbonara and lemonade because it was hot today.

"I'm so stuffed!" Nora said after we ate.

"Me too. That's why I love italian food." I smiled and she giggled.

"Let's go to the museum." She said while holding my hand.

"Off we go!" I said.

_______________________________________________________________

After our trip to the museum, we returned to the hotel and Scarlett called me so we could talk.

"Hey Nick! Can we talk?" She asked.

"Sure." I said.

"In private..." She looked at Nora.

"I'll be waiting for you in the room." She kissed my cheek.

"So what's wrong?" I asked.

She bit her bottom lip and I knew she had done something bad. "I went to see Heather today."

"What?" I raised both my eyebrows.

"Don't look at me like that! I needed to know why she left." She explained.

"That is between her and Kaylee. You shouldn't have butted in, Scar."

"You're right, but I had to know." She looked down.

"What did she tell you?" I asked curious.

"She told me more than I bargained for."

"Like what?" I was kind of scared at this point.

"Well..." She looked down again. "Heather told me that she left because she found out Kaylee was adopted."

"What?!" I was shocked. "Kaylee is adopted? She needs to know."

Scarlett held my arm. "Nick, please! If you tell her she will never speak to us again."

"And if we lie to her and she finds out, she won't speak to us either. It's a lose lose situation." I was mad at Scarlett.

"I'm not asking you to lie, all you have to do is pretend like you don't know."

"You went too far this time. And why did you tell me?"

"You're my best friend and I had no one else to turn to." She said.

"I'm very disappointed!" I turned my back and started making my way inside the hotel.

"Nick! I'm sorry!" Scarlett yelled.

I ignored her completely. Kaylee didn't deserve to be lied to but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. This trip had to be perfect for her so I decided to tell her after spring break was over. That case, I wouldn't be lying and hopefully she would forgive me and Scarlett for not telling her sooner.

_____________________________________________________________

It was dinner time and we all decided to stay at the hotel. Scarlett sat next to Kaylee and Flynn and I couldn't even look at her.

"Is everything okay?" Kaylee asked while looking at me and Scarlett.

"Yes." I said.

"It seems like you two are fighting." She said.

"We're not fighting, Kay." Scarlett smiled.

Nora looked at me. "Are you really okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine." I got up and left the hotel's restaurant.

Kaylee followed me. "Nick, wait up!" She grabbed my hand. "Tell me what's wrong!"

"Why do people lie all the time?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" She seemed confused.

"Nothing."

She looked at me and smiled. "You can talk to me if you want."

"You're such a good friend, Kaylee. i don't think you realize how great you are." I said before hugging her.

"You're pretty great too." She said.

"You don't deserve to be lied to."

"What is going on?" She asked.

"Ask Scarlett." I returned to the restaurant.

Lying to Kaylee was bad but losing her as a friend was worse. She was very special to me and I loved being her friend. Scarlett was the one who screwed up and she should deal with that.