Chapter 60 || If I didn't know better

Nick's POV

The day after I punched Axel, I went to school and saw Nora talking to him. She hugged him and he smirked. That idiot! I passed past them and Nora called me out.

"Don't you think you should be with your little friend?" I asked with a bitter tone.

"Stop being so childish!" She said. "Why did you punch Axel?"

"Because he's a jerk and he deserved it!" I answered her question.

"That's not what he told me. He said you punched him out of the blue." She raised an eyebrow.

I laughed sarcastically. "Of course he's playing the victim. He told Kaylee he has feelings for you. I got mad and hit him. Maybe I didn't act correctly but I was trying to protect you."

"Axel is my friend! Why do you have to be so jealous?"

"Nora, this isn't jealousy. He wants to break us up and apparently he did it. That dumb jock succeeded in something that was supposed to be hard." I said and turned around.

"You're an imbecile, Nick!" Nora yelled.

Her last words hurt my feelings in a way I never imagined was possible. I loved Nora but maybe she wasn't the one for me. She chose Axel over me and it seemed she cared more about his feelings than mine. Nora was an utter disappointment in my life.

________________________________________________________________

The last week of school was amazing for me. I got a perfect GPA score and was elected the best student of the school for the third time in a row. Next year I was definitely going to be Valedictorian. Too bad my happiness wasn't complete. Nora and I were broken up and Kaylee was acting weird around me since the 'almost kiss' incident. Things were messed up and confused. I spotted Kaylee outside of school and made my way towards her.

"Hey Kaylee!" I smiled.

She looked at me. "Hi Nick!"

"So how's your GPA?" I asked. 'How's your GPA?!' How stupid was that question?

"It's not great but it enough to pass." She answered.

"That's great!" I really need to step up my game.

She took her lipgloss out of her purse. "What are you gonna do after school?"

"I don't know. Just hang around the house." I answered. "And you?"

"I have a date with Flynn." She looked down. "How's everything with Nora?"

"We're still broken up." I said.

"Too bad. I would love to double date with you and Nora." She looked at her cell phone. "I'm late for my date. Bye Nick!" She smiled and left.

I was such a loser! Kaylee was going out with Flynn, Nora was doing whatever she was doing with Axel and I was moping around like a clueless loser. I was pathetic!

________________________________________________________________

After the graduation, Scarlett stopped by my house to talk about Nora. She tried to help me out and make me realize I couldn't stop fighting for Nora but we ended up kissing. I didn't react and she just ran out of my house like she was scared. The girl of my dreams kissed me and I did nothing. My girlfriend dumped and I didn't fight for her. Kaylee and I almost kissed and something inside of me was screaming at my idiotic decision of letting her go. Why was I so confused? After my deep thoughts, someone rang my doorbell. It was Zane.

"Zane!" I was really surprised.

"Sup, Nick? I really need to talk to you." He said. "Are we gonna talk here by the door?"

"No. Come in!" I said. "What do you want?" I have to admit that I was curious.

"It's about Scarlett. After I'm gone she's gonna need you to stay by her side. You're her best friend and even though we were never that close, I have to admit that you're the most important person for her and we both know how much I care about Scarlett." He scratched the back of his head.

"I will always be by Scarlett's side. She's really important for me too." I said.

He smiled. "Thanks Nick. She needs a friend more than ever. After the whole drama between her and Kaylee, she needs someone."

"Don't worry, Zane. I'm gonna make sure Scarlett is alright." I smiled.

"You're a great guy!" Zane said and shook hands. "Take care, dude!"

"You too. Good luck at college."

"Thanks." He smiled and left.

Right now I had three problems. What was I gonna do about Nora, Scarlett and Kaylee? Liking someone was so complicated.