Chapter 57 || Behind these hazel eyes

Nick's POV

It was almost the end of the school year and things were getting kind of rough. Between Scarlett and Kaylee fighting and my relationship with Nora, I barely had time to study and I needed to keep my perfect GPA score.

"What are you up to, Nicky?" A smiling Kaylee asked.

I smiled at her. "I was just thinking about school and exams."

"That's lame!" She twisted her nose.

"Are you having a hard time with studying?" I asked.

"I'm having a hard time doing everything. School isn't one of my priorities, besides I had good grades so I don't care much if I fail one class."

"Have you told your parents about Heather yet?"

She looked down. "I haven't had the courage. My parents are hangin' out more and they seem so happy. I don't wanna ruin that, plus Heather is not coming home."

I patted her back. "You're doing the exact same thing to your parents that Scarlett did to you."

"I'm not lying to my parents! I'm just protecting them. Losing Heather almost destroyed our family. Could you imagine what it would do to them knowing that they've lost her again? It would crush them!" Kaylee looked at me with her deep green eyes.

"I understand." I sighed. "But you can't hide this forever. Parents have a keen eye for lies and things like that."

Kaylee smiled. "I love you, Nicky!" She hugged me and kissed my cheek.

I blushed. "I love you too, Kay."

She leaned on her car and smiled. "You're too wise for your age."

"And you're too crazy!" I smiled.

She stuck her tongue out and left. Kaylee always made me feel better and now I felt like studying hard, I was inspired to get an A+ on my next exam so I could maintain my GPA.

_______________________________________________________________

The next day I arrived at school and went looking for Nora. I found her near her locker talking to Axel and they were laughing. Since when were they friends? They had nothing in common!

"Morning Nick!" Scarlett smiled.

"Good morning!" I said roughly. "What do you know about Nora and Axel?" I asked.

"It depends. Are you asking me about them individually or as friends?" She looked at me.

"As friends, of course."

"Well, to be honest I was really surprised when I saw them talking last week but Nora said she was tutoring him."

I smirked. "Axel never cared much about school. Why is she tutoring him? He could've have asked me. Everyone knows I'm the best student at Sacramento High."

"Are you jealous?" Scarlett giggled.

"Jealousy is for insecure people. I trust Nora but Axel is acting a little too friendly, don't you think?" I said while looking at Nora and Axel.

Scarlett smiled. "I think you're gonna be late for class and you're acting paranoid." She sighed. "There's nothing going on between Axel and Nora. They wouldn't work out."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Because Nora is smart, sweet and innocent. Axel is a dumb jock and a ladies man." Scarlett tried to calm me down.

"You're right. I'm more her type."

She held my hand. "Nora would be dumb to dump you for Axel." She smiled and kissed my cheek. "I gotta go to class now."

"Thanks Scarlett." I smiled and she waved at me.

I shouldn't be worried about Nora and Axel. Right now I have an exam to ace, Kaylee to worry about and Scarlett to help out. Those were my priorities.

______________________________________________________________

At the end of the exam, Nora approached me with a big smile and she looked flawless.

"So what was your answer at number 3?" She asked.

"It was C." I answered without looking at her.

"I got B." She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Maybe you would have got the answer correctly if you weren't flirting with Axel?" I replied with a cold look.

She gasped. "What are you talking about?"

"I saw you two talking by your locker and you two seemed really close." I said with a hint of jealousy.

"Nick, I'm just his tutor! He asked me to tutor him so he could pass all his classes and he would help me pass PE in return." She touched my shoulder. "I love you, Nick. Not Axel."

I grabbed my stuff and stormed away from the classroom. "I couldn't care less."

She picked up her speed and came up to me. "You can't possibly be jealous of my friendship with Axel! You're friends with Scarlett and Kaylee and clearly you like them both."

"Of course I like them. They are my best friends!" I yelled.

"You like them more than that and I know it! I'm not dumb, Nick!" She yelled back.

"I don't wanna argue with you about my friendship with my long term friends. You gotta choose between me and your friendship with Axel." I said.

She shook her head. "You're acting like an idiot!"

Nora left school and I immediately started feeling guilty. Why couldn't I trust her? Was I really that insecure?