2. Search For Help

The air felt like acid to her lungs. Evianna ran as hard as she could; by the time the village came into view, her feet burned, and she felt dizzy from hunger. Rounding a corner, Evianna found herself at the entrance to the main square, surrounded by many people who moved away from her, hatred darkening their figures. It was to be expected, her mother was notorious, and as such, they believed Evianna, too, would become a Witch just as disreputable in the future.

This was not the first occasion Evianna had felt their hateful gazes. Coretta would send her on errands she believed were too lowly or dirty to do herself; foraging for mushrooms, collecting nettles or trapping birds, all tasks which left Evianna's hands ragged and in pain. On the days she was sent out, Evianna would observe the villagers, quietly, as out-of-sight as she could manage, imagining being a part of their world which seemed so drastically different from her own. Though she felt hesitant standing unprotected before the many people that she had been forbidden to approach, Evianna lowered her eyes and lurched forwards in the direction of the Guard Station.

Every village in the Waldemyre Kingdom had a Guard Station to keep public order and supply protection. Hoiren's could be found standing at the side of the emptying plaza; a small brick building with a quaint bench off to one side.

When Evianna arrived, she could see a man in a spotless green and black uniform, his sword positioned at his side and his hair arranged neatly beneath his hat. His eyes widened in surprise as he saw Evianna running at him; when she halted not far off, he waited for her to catch her breath a little before talking.

"Can I help you?" his tone was friendly yet commanding; Evianna realised that with Coretta Cabot's reputation, it may not be easy to convince others of the truth.

Breathing haggardly, she replied, "I need... I need help."

"Are you hurt?" the Guard asked as he looked her up and down. As he did, another two men emerged from the station; they each questioned the first man who explained the preceding events.

Evianna gritted her teeth as one of the newcomers sighed after recognising her face. Though she would barely leave the cottage or speak with anyone bar her mother, others wouldn't treat her differently to an outsider.

"My mother... the Witch... she has taken a boy."

The Guards exchanged a look with each other, and then the first man spoke, "What do you mean? Taken a boy?"

Evianna's nerves were tickling the hairs on her arms and legs. Under the moonlight, she felt cold, and when she spoke again, her voice shook. "She brought a boy to the cottage. I... think she is... going to kill him."

The third Guard stepped forward, his silhouette creating a menacing shadow over Evianna's tiny body. In a calm, even tone, he asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Evianna's reply was almost silent as she looked back at the young man whose face was not visible in the shadows, yet whose hair resembled the colour of rust on an iron wheel.

Quickly the Guards turned to each other and conferred too quietly for Evianna to hear. Looking at the sky, she prayed for the prince's safety. The Witch was ruthless and cared not if the opponent was a child. Thinking of her mother made her cheeks sting where she had been struck. A familiar voice shook her from her worries.

The Guards had gathered, altogether twelve, more than the usual number that would reside in the village, but Evianna didn't care. The man she last conversed with called over, "Lead the way!"

Shocked that they listened to her plea Evianna nodded frantically, afraid they might change their minds if she delayed her answer. Turning back in the direction she arrived from, the prickling sensation left from the previous run was replaced by exhaustion and dread as she led the group on course to the cottage where her mother, the Witch, and the black-haired boy were waiting.