40. She's Not Dead

It was not long before action fell upon the bridge; several units of the King's Guard led a clean-up and began an investigation into who the attackers were. While Julian, Voster, and Romile stayed by the ruined carriage, they felt relief at the sight of a reliable friend.

The image of Kallin Ro Beras marching through the surreal landscape was a momentary distraction; he was walking across the piles of mutilated flowers from the festival, which had created a raised pathway above the foul-smelling gore of the dead.

"Kallin, thank the Myrde it's you," Romile sighed, a weak smile on his lips.

Bowing before he began, the steward's voice was gruff as he spoke, "Your Highness, I am aware of what transpired. The princess is heartbroken at losing such a wonderful friend; she is convincing the King to retrieve Lady Cabot's remains as we speak. I have been asked to lead you to His Royal Majesty for you to present him with your initial report of this incident."

For a second, the three by the wall felt a joint rush of frenzy at the mention of Illea. Allowing the emotion to fade into the distant sound of the river below before replying, Julian nodded his head.

"I see," he said, controlling his temper at every syllable. "She's not dead," he corrected.

"Pardon?"

Grinning, Julian realised that Kallin's expression was an honest look of horror and confusion. "Voster," nudging with his elbow, Julian stared meaningfully into the Mage's eyes, his intent clear, "Could you explain?"

Voster met Julian's silver eyes with his own piercing blue ones. After a short time, he shook his head, "Due to the sheer amount of time I spent engaged with the curse created by Her Ladyship's mother, I am acutely aware of its presence. The fact that I am still able to feel its energy tells me that she is still alive." His tone was nonchalant; however, his relief and excitement were easy to see.

Hearing Voster's explanation, a surge of relief welled inside Kallin as he walked over to the parapet to look over at Evianna. Catching sight of her, his gut twisted as though a stag had run him through, "I don't mean to be rude, Voster, but she appears to be wrapped in Soul Vine."

"Yes, but she is not dead," Romile injected. Julian and Voster were convinced that Evianna was still alive, and that was plenty to assure him of the same.

Unsure of what to say next, the group stood like a collection of frozen statues in the icy wind of the moonlit night; in a few hours, the first rays of light would begin licking at the horizon. Julian thought back to Evianna's first morning at Lupine Palace; he had heard that she woke when the sun did from the maids. Shaking himself free of reminiscence, he allowed the horrid mixture of scents to sit on his tongue, bringing a sense of reality back into his mind.

"Alright, now that that is settled," Julian stepped forward, clapping his hands loudly to grab their attention. He stood firm and resolute with the bloody scene behind him, "for whatever reason, it seems that Illea wants Evianna for something. That means we don't have to worry about her killing her for the moment."

Kallin was moved by the prince's unyielding belief in Evianna's survival, despite viewing her unmoving body. Glancing at Voster, he remembered that his gift for healing magic was far more potent than that of the average Mage, and since a young age, he had been by the second prince's side.

Resigning himself to the mercy of their hunch, he breathed heavily, a light twinkling behind his eye, "Your Highness, I suggest we follow her script for now and try to find out what is happening while we play our parts perfectly."

"I agree," Julian replied, a cruel smile forming as he thought of facing his father and sister, "Lead the way, Kallin."