20. Unregal Behaviour

Sitting under the rocking tree, feeling the soothing touch of the lazy breeze and the warmth of the sun high above, Evianna's nerves prickled as Illea asked about the jewels.

"If it's a secret, you don't need to tell me. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable." Illea looked like a doll left on the grass as her green eyes shone and her glossy hair that resembled the night reflected the sun. Her innocent countenance pushed doubts from Evianna's mind as she bowed her head.

"No... it's alright."

Slowly, Evianna recounted her past, living with her mother, meeting Julian, and encountering the guards: the rescue of the prince, death of the 'Witch of Hoiren,' and the curse. Travelling to the capital, which Illea told Evianna, was named Kenellor, meeting the King, Voster's theory, and the proposal. Once Evianna had finished, she sheepishly peered at Illea, unsure of her reaction. To her surprise, graceful tears streamed from her eyes like a painting.

"That must have been a very trying experience for you. I'm very sorry to hear about how your mother treated you. I miss my own mother because she passed away when I was a child, but I don't think it can compare to what you went through."

After sitting a while in silence, a maid, wearing a different uniform from the other's Evianna had seen, trotted over with a silver trolley. Smiling beautifully, Illea offered scones and cakes for an after breakfast tea time. As the pair began to negotiate jars of butters and jams to spread onto the scones, they laughed heartily, filling the garden.

"How often do you cry then?" asked Illea.

Pausing to think, Evianna tried to recall the last time she cried, "Not often without reason. Voster thinks... they only become jewels if I get hurt and cry. I have never cried outside of pain before, so I haven't created anymore since yesterday."

Illea's brows knitted softly, "So, it's all just speculation for now?"

"Yes," Evianna took a bite of her scone and melted as the soft crumbs tumbled from the corners of her mouth. Giggling, Illea brushed them away.

"I see," Illea said as she did, "then, let's test it."

"I'm sorry?" Confusion painted Evianna's face as Illea lit with excitement.

Pushing the plates away nimbly, Illea brought her body closer to Evianna's, "I think it would be more advantageous for you to know the parameters of the curse yourself, right? How about we try little things to see what type of tears do make jewels."

"Illea, I don't think... it's a good idea," the previous tension in Evianna's nerves returned as panic began to rise. Suddenly the sun felt too hot and the supple wind too loud. As she moved away, Illea took her hand, giving it a little squeeze.

"Of course it is; how about tears of laughter?" Thinking hard, Illea resembled a marble statue, her grip even more so. Shortly after, she exclaimed, "Tickling would do it."

All of a sudden, Evianna was overcome with the urge to run. Having never been around other children and not having a relationship with her mother, Evianna had never been tickled before. As Illea unrelentingly attacked her waist and underarms, all Evianna could do was laugh painfully and call, "No! Stop it!"

"Well, that didn't work," Illea said, tired from the assault. Watching Evianna pant and lay lifeless on the grass, she tittered, "Evianna, you need to breathe. Have you never been tickled before?"

"Ne...ver," the word barely sounded through Evianna's heavy breaths.

A look of pity formed on Illea's face, "In that case, we'll be doing more of that in the future." Thinking again, Illea contemplated the next option. "What is the opposite of joy? Is pain the only other option?"

Evianna remained on the ground waiting for Illea to tell her the next idea, but before Illea next spoke, an unbearable pain screamed from Evianna's thigh. Rushing blood poured from the wound and stained the off-white dress as Evianna raised herself to see where the pain was coming from. As she adjusted her body, agony making the movement difficult, she could see Illea holding a butter knife and smiling sweetly.

"It truly is pain," she said as a peridot fell from Evianna's left eye, followed by a topaz from her right. As Illea leaned over her to pick up the precious stones, Evianna's body quivered in fear more incredible than anything she had felt towards the Witch.

Noticing her reaction, Illea's cat-like smile returned, "Evianna, you don't mind that I keep these tears, do you? After all, I did help you test your theory."