8. Something Wicked

The pair sat frozen, staring at the jewel in Julian's hand. As it glistened neatly in the sunlight, time seemed to stand still.

"What... is that?" Evianna's voice trembled. She had never seen a jewel before as her mother did not need them, and the village of Hoiren was much too rural to house any nobles that would wear them.

"I think it's a diamond," Julian's tone was just as weak as Evianna's as he replied.

Looking down at her lap, the young prince noticed that each jewel was different. Evianna had cried four tears before shock had interrupted her and each was more beautiful than the last. The diamond in Julian's hand was the most petite and most similar to a real tear; the rest looked as if they belonged to a treasure chest.

Picking up another, Evianna asked, "Is this a diamond too?"

Shaking his headed Julian inched closer to it. The dark red gem refracted light against his fringe and Evianna's pale skin. "It's a ruby."

Suddenly Julian realised that the maids were still present and whispering among themselves. He stood, blocking their view of Evianna and the jewels, glaring at them. Each maid hurriedly lowered their gaze. Under the warm sun, the atmosphere turned stale as each person waited for another to speak.

The mood was disturbed further by the arrival of two guards and Voster, who was noticeably out of breath as he ran, his long hair blowing softly behind him like silk. As he approached, Julian called out.

"Only Voster may come over."

The guards paused and exchanged a look. Evianna peered around Julian to look at the new arrivals. She felt relief when Voster filled her vision. Looking past him at the green uniforms, she recognised the other two men. To the right was the man who smiled at her when they walked to the carriage in Hoiren; the other was a familiar face from the Hoiren's Guard Station.

After a brief discussion between the group, Voster left the guards and advanced alone. Now it was only the three of them left, taking a seat at the table, while the maids stood with their backs against the palace's outer wall under the guards' watchful eyes. Even then, Julian did not move. Evianna waited silently as Voster and the prince conversed with their eyes until eventually, the Mage sighed.

"Your Highness, if you don't let me inspect Her Ladyship, then I cannot heal her wounds."

Stiffly Julian glanced at Evianna, who stared back, unsure what expression to make. Beckoning Voster over, Julian quietly explained the events that had transpired in the garden.

"What do you think? Is this the Witch's curse?" Evianna squeezed her fists; hearing the possibility said aloud made her heart race. Her mother was a cruel woman who had hated the sight of Evianna's shadow; because of this, Evianna had thought that the curse would cause her physical pain. Perplexed by the severe looks on Julian and Voster's faces, Evianna was washed by relief as she realised she wouldn't have to suffer from abuse again as there had been no pain as the gems left her eyes.

After a short moment of contemplation, Voster replied, "I think so. It's a very unusual curse; I have never seen anything like it before. I believe the best course of action is to keep this quiet until I can study it more. My den is currently buzzing with every sort of test and many of the potions I am creating are beginning to react to the magical signature within the young lady. The answer should be clearer before the day ends."

"She has a name," Julian snapped, raising his voice.

Voster froze, then placed his hand over his mouth and kneeled before Evianna, "I'm sorry, My Lady; I am not always the most sensitive. Would you please reintroduce yourself? This time I promise not to forget your name."

Seeing the handsome boy crouched in front of her, Evianna squirmed in her chair. "Yes... I'm sorry. I am Evianna... Romilly Cabot."

Voster smiled and nodded, Evianna noted his eyes seemed to melt into the crisp blue sky above which made her relax a little. The Mage continued to place his hand over her head engulfing her body in a magical glow, healing her wounds. As the three of them began to discuss the jewels, footsteps of a large party coming towards them drew the conversation to a halt.

Evianna was baffled to see an assembly of knights accompanying a messenger, who marched proudly at the head of the procession. He was adorned in dark emerald clothing with fancy stones attached to his buttons that reminded Evianna of the jewel tears. Stopping just within the boundaries of the garden, the messenger unrolled a scroll. Looking at Julian, Evianna saw that his face had become rigid, filling her with dread.

The messenger cried out in a high-pitched voice, "His Royal Majesty, the King, Yaalon Del Waldemar, requests the presence of His Highness, the Second Prince, Julian Dominic Oran Del Waldemar, and his guest."