17. A New Look

As sunlight crawled through the glass doors, Evianna ran her hand across the fur rug-blanket, fascinated by the warmth on her skin under the golden beams of early light. Having managed to fall back to sleep for a couple of hours, habit urged her to wake long before the sun finished rising. In the past, she had been required to clean, prepare food and be out of sight before the day began. Evianna felt lost yet safe in the large room; she found that after waking from her sleep, the morning dimness did not reveal threatening shadows that reached for her from the behind objects or beneath the table.

Unsure of what to do, she wandered the room again as she had done the night before. Climbing up onto the bed, she felt the cushioned mattress try to swallow her affectionately as the blankets wrapped around her thin limbs tenderly, coaxing her, almost jealous of her night on the floor. While she admired the soft curtains that hung around the bed like a twilight robe, she heard footsteps approaching. Quickly she looked across to the pillow on the floor. Clambering over the endless bedclothes, she struggled to dismount and grab the pillow before there was a knock at the door. Evianna halted as panic gripped her, the soft material in her hands protecting them from her nails as she squeezed tightly.

"Good morning, Your Ladyship, it's Abo. Are you awake?" The young maid's reassuring low voice sounded muffled and welcoming through the door.

Relaxing slightly, Evianna rushed to the bed, throwing the pillow at the headboard, "Yes."

After a moment, Abo entered carrying a box, followed by Nina, who pushed in a rack full of dresses in a variety of styles and colours.

"How was your sleep, Your Ladyship?" Abo smiled warmly, placing the wooden box on the table.

"Good. What is... that?" Evianna asked quizzically, staring at the plain, wooden box.

Abo guided Evianna over to a chair as she replied, "A lady's secret weapon." As she removed the lid, Evianna peered inside, confused by the tools and sharp objects that greeted her. The only time she had seen scissors was when her mother was tearing into an animal for ingredients. This thought wrenched in Evianna's stomach; as she tried to shake the fearful memory from her mind, Abo continued.

"When we bathed you last night, we became aware that your hair has not been taken care of and may also be causing you discomfort. If you would allow it, Nina shall cut your hair for you."

Nina nodded and came to Evianna's side, slowly stroking her hair, inspecting the ragged ends. "I will only treat the areas that need it, Your Ladyship. Although, I am afraid that there is a lot of damage, meaning I may have to cut it much shorter."

Evianna did not feel any attachment to her hair, it had never resembled her mother's, and she had not had the luxury of taking care of it when hunger was much less considerate companion. She readily agreed with the girls as they deliberated over styles and length. After an hour had passed, they squealed with joy at their masterpiece. Looking in the mirror properly for the first time since yesterday, Evianna realised that her hair, which had always appeared grimy and ashen, was now a buttery blonde. The new cut left the blonde locks, which fell in loose curls, just above the shoulders with shorter, lighter strands hanging at the front. Considering her violet eyes, Evianna had to admit that she stood out. As that awareness settled in, so did an oncoming sense of dread.

Evianna did not wish to stand out, but what if she did because she looked strange and outlandish as she stood next to Julian, whose dark hair and silver eyes emanated grace.

After finishing with the hair, the maids urged Evianna to choose a dress she liked from the long rack they had assembled. Evianna looked at each one; feeling lost she pointed to a pale, eggshell-coloured dress that fell straight and covered the arms. She was glad of her choice as it was comfortable and simple.

Nina fussed about matching shoes, and Abo raked through the jewellery box muttering excitedly. Evianna was secretly glad when they were interrupted by another knock at the door. As it swung open smoothly after being allowed entry, Loem was revealed, dressed as neatly as the day before; they sighed.

"His Highness, Prince Julian, is waiting for you in the dining room and extends an invitation to breakfast."