69. Schemes

Chancellor Lucienne Ad Henos walked briskly through the Addend Wing, storming towards his office after another meeting with the war council. Discussions of consideration over tax adjustment for food and equipment for the military were at the lowest since the war began, yet they had only ever received news of victory. The men who sat in plush chairs around the tables flittering about with papers and quills only ever came to the same conclusion: give less and expect more.

Arriving at his office, the Chancellor caught sight of his pale eyes, which now resembled a ghost's. Disheartened by his evident exhaustion, he opened the door, only to pause on the threshold as if his feet had melted into the floor. Sitting on the blue couch, hand ruffling his hair, eyes shut, was Julian.

"Your Highness?"

Realising that the Chancellor had arrived, Julian beamed brightly. Standing up, he walked over to the fat man and embraced him warmly. Lucienne was overcome with emotion, having not seen Julian since the day before his departure four years ago, the boy he had once considered his son had grown into a handsome young man.

"It's great to see you, Lucienne," Julian's voice cracked slightly as the large man squeezed his young frame with thick arms.

"You as well," the Chancellor replied excitedly. Stepping back, allowing the black-haired prince to catch his breath, the Chancellor stared at him, the pristine condition of his clothes, the relaxed expression, and his lack of urgency. "How are you here? I heard that the Emperor had invited you to return, but your arrival was not expected until your battle in the South had drawn to a close," as he spoke, the two moved to the chesterfield sofas.

"When I received the summons, the fighting had concluded by more than a day. The timing seemed perfect, and the plan fell into action."

"What plan?" The Chancellor's glasses caught the light as he shot up from his seat, the sofa creaking under the sudden shifting of weight. "You don't mean..."

Grinning, Julian clapped his hands together, clasping them firmly above his head, a movement that the Chancellor recognised from Julian's childhood years when the young prince could not contain his excitement. "Indeed, I'm here because the plan is almost complete; we have sieged the outer wall, and the soldiers are silently rounding up officials."

"I haven't heard a thing!" Lucienne exclaimed, shocked by the mastery of the young man before him.

"You taught me well."

Suddenly, the door to the study burst open and heavy footsteps rattled the bookshelves as the Emperor's Guard crowded into the space; green and black uniforms, decorated with the Myrde's symbol, pendants for rank, and swords waiting on their hips.

Once the guards were in position, the Emperor walked in without an introduction. His green eyes glistening with enthusiasm, "Arrest the Second Prince."

The guards began to descend on Julian with no further instruction, swords singing as they were drawn, chains rattling somewhere unseen. The Chancellor's eyes shot towards his weapon, which was leaning helplessly against his desk, while Julian reached for his own blade, aura not yet released.

Lucienne glanced wildly at the number of assailants, a cool panic bubbling behind his ribcage. Looking to Julian, he realised that this was the Emperor's last effort to retrieve his power which the prince had stolen as he attacked the palace. "Your Imperial Majesty, from my understanding, His Highness has already taken command of the palace. Please surrender and tell your guards to stand down as Imperial Prince Julian will now take the throne."

"Is that the plan?"

"Pardon," the Chancellor stood wide-eyed as the Emperor smiled, tickling his regal beard with his fingers.

Pleased by Lucienne's expression, the Emperor called out without turning his head, "Dear daughter, release your magnificent illusion."

Illea skipped daintily into the room to her father's side, wearing an innocent look unbecoming of her eighteen-year-old self. Lifting her hand to her lips, Illea blew a light kiss towards Julian. The Chancellor's brow twisted as he waited for whatever cruel torture she would inflict on her brother. Before his eyes, Julian's figure faded away, like sand slipping through an hourglass, leaving not a trace behind but a horrified and unsuspecting audience.

"Father, I was glad that my illusion magic has been of advantage to you," Illea giggled musically.

"Of course, it was a beautiful mastery of his likeness. Just by seeing his face, I wished that I could run him through," the Emperor nodded, patting his daughter's head. Receiving a deep curtsy in response, the emperor turned his attention to the frozen Chancellor.