19. The Princess

"It's Evianna," Julian said. His brows knotted in frustration as he slumped back heavily into his chair.

Pausing, Julian's sister smiled brightly at him before noticing Romile standing a few paces away. Evianna caught sight of a subtle pink tickle her cheeks as the dark-haired girl turned away to pull out the chair to Evianna's right.

Once seated, the new arrival gripped Evianna's hand, "I am very sorry. I was just so excited to meet you I must not have heard your name correctly." As she spoke she brought her face close to Evianna's, blocking her view of anything else.

"It's... fine," Evianna responded, unable to look away from the girl's cat-like emerald eyes. "Your Highness?"

Looking overjoyed, the princess squealed in excitement, shaking her head, allowing long pitch-black locks to bounce theatrically while she spoke. "Oh? Do you know who I am?" Evianna shook her head. "Nevermind, I am the only royal princess of Waldemyre and daughter of the queen, Illea Cadence Del Waldemar."

Evianna was bewildered; although she had realised they were siblings, she had not formed the link to the title of 'princess' in her mind. "It is an honour... to meet you, Your Highness," bowing as she spoke, the princess held her arm to stop her, beaming glamorously.

"No, it's not," Julian interjected, "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company, dear sister?"

Sighing no louder than a falling feather, the princess retorted, "Little brother, would it kill you to behave more appropriately in front of your elders?" In response, Julian scoffed and took to watching Evianna. He had noticed that she had a calming effect on him. Not that he felt an overwhelming urge to see her, but he could relax in her company.

Continuing, the green-eyed princess slid her hand gracefully over Evianna's fingers. "I came to see Evianna. While dining with Father this morning, he told me that you were going to live with a girl who will later become my lady-in-waiting."

"Nothing to do with the jewels she produces?"

"That is none of my business," the princess looked taken aback. For the first time since arriving, her smile fell slightly, yet she did not appear any less beautiful. "Evianna, I'm the only princess, and all the females in all the palaces are maids and servants. I need a friend, and I was hoping you would accept my invitation to be my first."

Seeing the eager look on the girl's face, Evianna realised that she could not decline. "Of course, Your Highness."

"Illea, please."

Although Illea was older than Evianna by a couple of years and stood at least a four inches taller, her innocent joy as they became friends forced a smile onto Evianna's face. Evianna watched as Illea's line of sight shifted to where Julian's Guard was standing. Classily, Illea rose from her seat and moved to the end of the table.

"How have you been, Romile?"

Romile discernably tensed, which confused Evianna. The princess seemed lovely, but both Julian and Romile seemed uncomfortable in her presence. "Very well, Princess."

Audibly pouting, Illea whined, "Won't you call me Illea like Evianna does?"

"That is above my station, Princess." Romile did not make eye contact but instead looked straight ahead.

Sighing, "Of course, but I'm not giving up." Illea turned around and after a deep inhaled sigh, linked onto Evianna's arm. As she lightly encouraged Evianna from her chair, Illea exclaimed, "Come on, let's go play."

Standing quickly, Julian reached out to catch Evianna's hand, "Who's not being respectful now?"

Slapping it away with a sizeable cat-like grin, Illea said, "Still you, little brother. The two of us are going to get better acquainted."

Evianna glimpsed Julian's expression as she journeyed away with Illea. Impatience was painted on his face like an exhausted chess player. In an attempt to comfort him, she smiled meekly, unsure of what faced her as she exited the dining room.

As Julian watched Evianna being dragged away by his sister, he gave up, calling after them, "Have her back in the afternoon, Voster's coming!"

Illea skipped joyously out of the Lupine Palace into the garden. Under the crisp white light of the mid-morning sun, Evianna absorbed the view of the purple fields in all their glory. Finding a gentle patch of grass not far from the main path leading to the entrance, Illea suggested they sit and chat by one of the swaying trees.

As Evianna considered what an appropriate topic to discuss with a princess might be, Illea asked, "What was that my brother said about jewels?"