27. Invitation from a Mage

"What His Highness means to say, My Lady, is that the princess takes another Mage's entire magical ability and uses it as her own until she takes another," Voster quickly interjected.

Evianna shuffled underneath the heavy blankets, which were slowly becoming stuffy, "Does that mean... she has lots of abilities?"

Voster shook his head while explaining, "No, when she takes someone's power, the previous power she possessed will dissipate."

"Meaning she steals someone's magic, and then it disappears when she gets bored without returning the power to its original host, My Lady," Romile added, sighing; Evianna noticed that he had continued to twiddle the bed curtains throughout the conversation.

Having discerned Evianna's discomfort under the covers, Julian pulled back the top layer with a quick smile before becoming sombre. "You can understand why this is not common knowledge. Many in the palace are unaware. If it were found out that the only princess's power is to steal and erase the magical abilities of others, there would be chaos."

Nodding her head slowly, Evianna gripped the soft duvet covers. A warm wave reassured her as Julian placed his hand over hers, lightly caressing the back of her hand with his thumb. Feeling the heat travel to her cheeks, Evianna looked away, catching Voster's gaze.

Once again, disturbing those inside the room, the door let out a knock before Loem announced the return of the King's messenger. Entering after a brief silence, the boy in deep green clothes, decorated in lavish embellishment, called out, "His Royal Majesty, Yaalon Del Waldemar, requests the presence of His Highness, the Second Prince, Julian Dominic Oran Del Waldemar." Much like the last time, his voice was high-pitched, similar to a child shouting through a crowded hall.

Signalling the messenger to leave, Julian groaned, "He probably wants to discuss this incident." Casting a smile at Evianna, he raised his eyebrows as she tore her eyes away, making him laugh. Getting up he patted her head, "Stay here with Voster. You were supposed to spend some time with him in the afternoon anyway. I'll be back." After nodding to Voster, Julian left, followed by Romile, who waved goodbye as he rounded the corner.

Left alone, Evianna and Voster looked at each other. Unsure of what to say, the pair waited anxiously for the other to speak. Evianna considered what to say but ultimately remained unable to utter a word.

Suddenly, Voster rose and stated authoritatively, "Well, Your Ladyship, I'll leave you to get ready and then meet you downstairs in the Mirrored Hall."

Quickly he raced from the room, unable to bring himself to sit there any longer. A minute after he had left, Evianna was surprised by the entrance of Abo and Nina, who Loem had sent on Voster's orders. As the maids helped her get ready, Evianna idled before the mirror, still unconvinced by her own reflection. Unlike in the morning, she quickly pointed to a dress. This time, the colours were bright, unlike anything she had ever worn before.

"Abo... what is a Mirrored Hall?" Evianna asked shyly as the young maid struggled to choose a pair of shoes from a rack in the wardrobe.

"Are you meeting Sir Mage?" she replied excitedly.

Evianna's eyes widened slightly, puzzled by her accurate conclusion, "Yes, how did..."

Before she finished, Evianna spotted Nina press her finger to her lips at Abo, who bowed her head, "I apologise for presuming."

"It's alright. Nina?"

Grinning broadly, Nina continued to work on Evianna's hair, "Don't worry, Your Ladyship, we will lead you there after you are ready." As the finishing touches were applied to her, Evianna marvelled at the difference in her appearance; her blonde hair in plaits, a bright pink and purple dress, simple jewellery, and small heels. She felt happy for a moment, but then she felt an unnerving sense of doom; what was the price for these beautiful clothes?

Abo and Nina chatted away peacefully as they led Evianna to an area of the Lupine Palace she hadn't yet been. When they arrived at a long corridor, Nina explained the directions.

"His Highness's Imperial Mage has created a barrier that does not let those without permission past; you are the only one with permission, Your Ladyship. At the end of the corridor, enter the last door, and you will be in the Mirrored Hall."

Evianna's stomach tumbled like a bucket down a well as she said goodbye to her maids and began to walk carefully down the naturally lit corridor. She didn't find the atmosphere unpleasant or distressing and by the time she had reached the door, Evianna had cleared her mind of all fear.

As she gently pushed down on the handle, the door fell inward causing cool air to rush out without a sound, and Evianna stepped inside.