45. All Aboard

After receiving their respective letters, there was not much for them to do but wait. As they separated until the punishment date arrived, there was an unspoken agreement to let each do what they wished until that time.

Julian made his way unhurriedly through Lupine Palace. Thoughts of Evianna and the mandated torture he would face danced maliciously on his mind. In no time, his feet had carried him to the door of Evianna's bedroom. Without a thought, he rapped his knuckles lightly against the solid wood. Unsurprised by the lack of response, he pushed open the door.

The day of Evianna's arrival at Lupine Palace was a pleasant memory. He had left her to admire the purple and flower embalmed room so that she would become comfortable at her own pace. Looking over to the white vanity table with its long mirror, Julian smiled to himself as he thought of how surprised Evianna must have been each time she had seen herself with the appearance of a princess.

Turning to the bed, the conversations about magic came to mind. A disgusting emotion began to boil in his stomach as he thought of her aversion to magical abilities due to her mother; she had started to see its beauty with the help of Voster, yet the effort would go to waste if she is with the princess.

Julian dropped indelicately onto the side of the over-sized bed facing the large glass doors, again frustrated by thoughts he could not control. He knew all he could do was wait, yet adrenaline burned in his muscles, urging him to take action. Sighing heavily, he expelled his eagerness to charge into Warrick Palace and confront the King, choosing to focus on the comforting floral scent that filled the room. Julian was confident he would save Evianna; it didn't matter how long it would take, he would find her.

When the third day arrived, all three of the boys' expressions were grim. As they greeted each other and passed through the large entranceway into the garden, two carriages awaited them. The purpose of each was clear.

The sun was hiding, ashamed, behind the clouds with the skies thundering sobs audible in the distance. In the grey light, Julian and Romile's tumbleweed wagon unmistakeably announced the passage of criminals with its rusty steel bars. Compared to the simple colourless transport prepared for Voster, which matched the tone of the funeral, it was evident that the King was taunting the second prince without remorse.

"You would think I committed murder," Julian chuckled dryly as he stared at the eroded panels and bars of the vehicle.

"In this case, perhaps considering patricide would be a better idea," Romile mused lightly.

"Quiet," Voster hissed, sending a harsh glare in Romile's direction, "that could be deemed as a treasonous statement."

Grinning, Romile placed his hand over his mouth as he glanced over to the drivers who were too busy complaining the weather to listen.

"You're right," Julian smirked, shaking his head. Stepping towards the rickety carriage, he waved out his hand, calling, "Best of luck."

"I think you need it more than I do," Voster replied meekly.

"True, although it's not the first time," Julian countered as he clambered into the carriage, which moved unsettlingly under his body weight. As Romile joined him, they shared a sense of concern that the creaking wood would give way before they arrived at their destination.

Without confirming their cargo, the drivers encouraged the horses to leave, seemingly unfazed by the loud splitting sounds of the wheels against the road. Julian watched as Voster board his own carriage, which departed in the opposite direction as they left. Under the murky sky, the picturesque scenery which Evianna had enjoyed during their travels now seemed eerie and distasteful. The wilted images suited the journey's end, which sickened both boys to their guts.

After a while, the uneven road became unbearable, alerting Julian and Romile to their arrival at The Chamber. A section of the Royal Prison used when issuing capital punishment; The Chamber, so named for its viewing gallery, is open for anyone to enjoy.

Onthis occasion, when a prince and his Guard will be on display, it is not one tobe missed.