43. Sharing A Mother

Having returned to Lupine Palace, Julian, Romile, and Voster headed in the same direction; the Mirrored Hall. In all the years Julian and Voster had been together, there had only ever been one instance when they had been in the room together, which was the day it was created.

Despite Voster's resistance against allowing others to enter, he recognised that it was the only place they could speak freely. Nervous he would change his mind, Voster walked briskly down the corridor of vines and flowers as he led the way towards the door of the Mirrored Hall. Taking hold of the cool handle, he forced himself to enter without looking back.

"I had heard about it, but it's spectacular," Romile said as he gazed in awe at the complex topological space.

"Don't touch anything," Voster murmured. Having invited Evianna into the room in the past, he had hoped the two of them could share the space without interference from others. Yet, to find her, he knew that they would have to work together.

Glancing over to Julian, Voster noticed he was staring at a small rectangular frame positioned on the fireplace's mantel. Due to the nature of the glass, the picture no longer existed; still, Julian smiled as he turned to see Voster's clouded eyes.

"It looks the same as it did before."

"You're right," Voster replied, a sharp lump climbing its way unwelcome into his throat.

Beckoning the others over, Voster stood at the same table as he had with Evianna, central to the space. Nodding, Julian sighed deeply, pondering how to begin.

"We don't know when His Royal Majesty will set a date for our lashings, but I can guess it will neatly co-inside with Evianna's funeral," he stated.

"The King never said that I was unable to attend," Voster's interjected quickly. He had already realised during the audience, however, he was unsure if Julian or Romile had noticed.

"What?" Romile asked.

Chuckling at Romile's reaction, Voster explained, "He mentioned the two of you by name, yet he barely spared me a glance."

"That's true," Julian agreed, bringing his hand up to ruffle his dark hair. He focussed his silver gaze on the Mage, "then I guess you will need to go to the funeral."

"I was going anyway," Voster's response was expected, but the stress in the room seemed to increase drastically. Julian knew that Voster was not one to make careless decisions, but his affection for Evianna oddly provoked him. Voster continued, "I'm curious to see what they are planning. Since Evianna's still alive, I suspect they won't have the usual crystal casket, but I'm not sure what to expect."

"Then it's settled," Romile exclaimed, rubbing his hands together, "there's not much point thinking about it too much until we know what they're planning."

After a quiet moment of agreement, Voster motioned in the direction of the door, "Alright, walk back the same way you came in."

While carefully treading towards the exit, Julian paused, the chinking of his footsteps coming to an end. Without looking back, he asked, "Voster, could I have a moment?"

Analysing the frame before him, Voster was reminded that Julian was still only an eleven-year-old boy despite his evident maturity. "Of course, Your Highness."

Realising that the two needed privacy, Romile departed from the Mirrored Hall; taking one final glimpse at its wonder, he closed the door quietly.

"I understand that it won't have been easy letting me in here," Julian started.

"I was surprised you wanted to enter, Your Highness," Voster replied.

"You still won't call me Julian like before?" the prince asked softly as he once again turned to view the Mage's face. An expression of guilt and embarrassment met his gaze and in return, Julian smiled warmly.

Turning away, Voster reached out to touch the wall which cracked, multiplying the shards of glass as if it had shattered on the other side. "I lost that chance when your mother died."

"She was your mother too," Julian responded sadly.

"Not biologically."

"That doesn't matter," Julian snapped. Taking a moment to choose his words, he slowly queried, "If a similar situation were to happen to Evianna in the future, could you control it?"

"I only use healing magic now," Voster retorted.

"That doesn't answer my question," counted Julian harshly.

Unable to respond, Voster dipped his head so that Julian couldn't see his eyes. Understanding that he wouldn't receive an answer, Julian nodded sending his eyes towards the glass ring sitting not too far away and left Voster alone.