13. Proposal

As Voster revealed the criteria of the curse, Evianna's mind began to whirl. She thought back to the incident at the Lupine Palace where she cried the jewel tears; as the Mage said, she had fallen and hurt herself. Suddenly images of her mother filled her vision, her red eyes full of loathing, tormenting her every waking moment. Aware of Julian's gaze, which she was growing accustomed to, Evianna scanned across the throne room slowly, trying to calm herself. She could see that the young prince's face was rigid, concern and something unreadable displayed clearly for the King to see.

Coiling back into his throne, the King asked, "Why do you look so nervous, Second Prince?"

Julian replied, not moving his silver eyes from Evianna, "Your Royal Majesty, I am simply anxious over my friend's condition."

Despite the natural tone in his voice, Julian's determination not to look away made others in the room uncomfortable. It was clear to the King why Julian acted this way, but Evianna, who did not know what transpired between the two, had no choice but to wait for one of them to speak.

Eventually, the King broke the silence, sending a courtier to bring an expensive wine; he began laughing, full of praise for Voster, "Indeed, it is clear that your Imperial Mage has done well to pin-point the functions of the curse. Next, he must investigate ways to remove it from Baroness Cabot. Of course, I shall provide any assistance needed." When the courtier returned, the King signalled for it to be given as a reward to the Mage.

Voster stared at the wine, which was encased in a silver amphora with beautiful engravings of vines and creatures of all kinds running up the neck, and restrained from enacting any response other than graciously accepting. Holding the gift close to his chest, Voster responded, "Your help is greatly appreciated, My King."

"You are dismissed."

As he turned to leave, wine in hand, Voster glimpsed at Evianna. His reassuring nod released a knot from within her before he walked out of the hall.

It was a while before the King spoke again, contemplating the information that Voster shared. "Baroness Cabot, I am aware this must be a troubling time for you. I hope that you will not feel burdened by what I am about to ask."

Evianna stiffened at his words. As the King sat on his golden throne surrounded by his country's shades of green, he looked like he knew everything and could see far into the future. Evianna waited for the King's question; the seconds passed by as if they were birds flying into the wind.

"I am not sure if you are aware, but our great kingdom, despite its size, is in debt to our ally in the west, Angoles. I propose that until the curse is lifted, you help our kingdom by donating any jewels that naturally fall from your eyes, and in return, I will provide anything you need."

Suddenly, Julian cried out, "Your Royal Majesty, if it becomes known that Evianna is the one who prepares the jewels, she would be in great danger!"

"Second Prince, I ask that you remove yourself from this hall before I have you escorted!"

Rage crossed Julian's face as two guards stepped forward, light from the ceiling dancing in a rainbow of colours against the badges on their chests. Controlling his temper, Julian's fists squeezed until a thin slither of red could be seen tracing between his fingers. Evianna watched with horror as he released his hands, and blood dripped down to the sea of carpet.

Silently he turned, but instead of leaving, he walked to Evianna and whispered into her ear, "I'll follow your decision." With that, he strode the length of the hall, making sure to slam the large, ornate black doors shut.

Sighing heavily, the King adjusted himself in his seat. "Now, Baroness Cabot, the Second Prince's concern is merited, but I would be sure not to let this information be brought to light." Evianna realised that he seemed to be watching her response, carefully attempting to gain her favour. "What do you say?"

While the King waited for her answer, Evianna looked down at her hands and fiddled with her worn-out dress. Only then did she notice that she had not changed her clothes since meeting Julian, and she was standing before King Yaalon Del Waldemar in dirty, unkempt, blood-stained rags. Although Julian had told her that he would support her choice, she was unsure how to reject a King. Evianna did not possess a vast vocabulary or much wit, and she felt even less of a person while dressed no better than a deer that had been half-skinned.

Unaware of what would await her, Evianna looked up at the man who sat closest to the sky. "I... agree."