3. Rescue

After leaving the village, Evianna slowed the pace, giving the Guards time to consider their strategy. She was informed that they must take Coretta by surprise for them to have the upper hand. Evianna nodded and quickly collected water from the well, then scampered towards the cottage, leaving the men to position themselves in the darkness. When she reached the door, her heart squeezed, it was now late, and she knew how her mother would welcome her. Lightly she rapped on the door then scurried inside.

Before she had time to put down the pale, a splitting pain ruptured from her ribs as a broom collided with her bones. Evianna fell back, landing on the cold floor, the icy water splashing onto all surfaces. As she gasped for air, tears dripping from her face and the smell of iron filling her nose, the Witch's screams reached her ears.

"You rat! Where have you been? I had to collect the water myself, and you were nowhere to be found." Her mother raged on and on, ignoring the little girl's whines except for a glare when her wheezing was too distracting.

"I'm... sorry. I'm sorry..." Evianna whispered between breaths, but it only made Coretta grow more furious.

"Shut up, you stupid wench. Get up and clean up your mess, you ungrateful child."

Evianna scrambled to stand, panting as pain shook her from the inside. Looking about the room, she could see the prince tied to the same chair he had sat on before, yet now he had pins through his legs and shoulders, a glassy look painted on his face.

While she looked at the dark-haired boy in the orange firelight, the door and windows blew open, accompanied by a scream. Glancing around wildly, Evianna realised that her mother was on the ground. A glowing seal shining above her body. Cautiously Evianna moved toward the Witch, but before she could inspect the magic, a heavy hand landed on her shoulder.

"I wouldn't get much closer. My spells tend to reject anyone who touches them." Desperately thrashing away from the hand, Evianna looked at the person who had spoken. He was fair-skinned with long auburn hair, a covered in a hooded green robe the same colour as the Guards' uniforms, with a glass ring decorating his right hand that was shimmering softly.

"Who..." Before she could finish her question, she was interrupted by the Guards' calls.

"Your Highness!" As the Guards rushed in, many went directly to the prince; the robed boy also walked past Evianna and held his hand above the royal; as she watched, his wounds disappeared leaving behind suspicious looking holes in his clothes.

Evianna felt relief as the prince's eyes regained life, and he began to converse with the Guards, explaining the events he could remember. As he did so, others came over, placed sealing cuffs on Coretta, and dropped her roughly in a chair to await orders. The Witch's face grew dark when she saw Evianna standing by herself.

"Did you do this to me?" Evianna froze, the agony from her ribs enveloping her body. Looking across at her mother, she saw fury and hatred. "How could you betray your own mother? I let you live your pathetic life, and this is how you repay me?"

Evianna couldn't reply. She had never received love from her mother; Coretta was an object of fear, though she had hoped that one day she might change, now that would never happen, and it hurt more than any wound on her body.

"Enough," having had his wounds healed, the young prince came forward in the dim light, "She has done nothing wrong. The girl has helped put an end to your evil deeds, for which she has my gratitude."

After a moment of silence, cruel laughter filled the room, "Ah child, you think I'm evil? Very well! I'll play my part to the bitter end, but you should know that there is much worse than me out in the big bad world." The Witch then turned to Evianna, who turned pale at her sneer.

"I curse you! You who carry my blood, from this day on your pain, will bring great joy to others."