6. New Beginnings

The newcomer, after introducing himself, sat in silence.

As it bumbled at speed over the rough terrain, the rattle of the carriage caused Evianna's body to be thrown quite carelessly about her section of the green, padded bench. At this moment, she was glad that her wounds had been healed, as the pain would have been excruciating. Looking away from the Mage, whose eyes remained on her, Evianna watched the landscape pass by outside; was once again reminded that she had never left Hoiren, the village she had stayed with her mother.

Vast forests and fields merged the further they travelled. After a long time, Julian and the Mage began to mumble to each other before calling on Evianna's attention.

"Young Lady, could you give me your hand?" The Mage offered his own while he asked. Evianna did not feel any malice from the Mage. She found him beautiful, not quite as striking as Julian but instead a subtle, gentle beauty that put her at ease.

Silently, she raised her hand but, meeting the Mage's own one outstretched, glanced over to Julian, who nodded enthusiastically. As Evianna grabbed onto the Mage, he spoke again.

"His Highness requests that I find out what sort of curse the Witch placed on you. If it is something simple, I will remove it once we reach the capital." Without waiting for a response, he closed his eyes, and a glow emanated from his hand, a familiar delicate shimmer which caused his ring to glisten once more. In the past, Evianna felt nothing when the magic-wielding boy used magic to heal her; this time, a numb vibration rattled the bones in her hand. A moment later, the glow died, and the Mage opened his eyes.

While the Mage focussed on his task, Julian grinned meaningfully at Evianna. "How old are you?"

Evianna looked at him, searching for any deeper meaning he might be hiding. Men had asked in the past when she snuck away from her mother and their intentions had been far from honourable. Inspecting his expression Evianna didn't believe Julian meant to do anything cruel with the information.

"My mother said that she fed me for... ten summers," Evianna replied.

Contemplating silently for a moment, Julian brought his finger to his chin, "That means your birthday is next season." Beaming, he excitedly exclaimed, "Our birthdays are roughly the same time; I'm one year older though."

Watching the prince, this was the first time Evianna believed he was a young boy. His natural joy and enthusiasm from conversing about birthdays completely dispelled the image she kept in her mind of him holding a blade.

Shortly Julian's laughter came to a halt as Voster's brow scrunched. Puzzled, the Mage let go of Evianna's hand, leaned back into his seat, and crossed his arms.

"Well? What is it?" Julian queried, his silver eyes piercing into the Imperial Mage.

Sighing, the Mage replied, "Your Highness, I don't know."

"What?"

Frowning, Voster explained, "Whatever magic the Witch of Hoiren used, I have never come across it before."

"So what you're saying is that the prodigy, Nile Voster, doesn't know the answer?" Julian laughed and peeked over at Evianna, who was still trying to find a grip on the shaking carriage. Carefully, he maneuvered over to her side and placed his arm around her, keeping her steady.

Taken aback by the prince's actions, the Mage shook his head, "Do you have to say it so cruelly? It's not conventional. My magic could barely enter her body, let alone figure out what is wrong." Looking at Evianna, his expression changed to genuine concern. "I'm sorry, young lady, but I am unable to help you."

"It's... alright, Sir Mage. Thank you." Evianna answered, smiling warmly. After a long pause, the Mage blushed, having never been treated so sincerely before outside of his closest companions. It was natural that he used his gifts for the royal family, but other than Julian they had never thanked him so affectionately, or at all.

Noticing the pink atmosphere, Julian tightened his grip around Evianna's waist, "Just call him Nile or Voster." Coming back to his senses, the Mage nodded and said his goodbyes. Then Evianna watched bewildered as he opened the moving carriage door and leapt from it, disappearing.

Seeing the expression on her face, Julian couldn't help but laugh heartily, "Get some sleep; it'll take another five or six hours until we arrive."

Evianna had not realised how exhausted she was. When was the last time she had slept? It did not take long for her eyes to drift shut in the comfort of Julian's arms. The lullaby of the crashing wheels against the gravel sent her off into a deep sleep. She dreamed very little. Images of her mother's head dropping to the floor and sitting in their empty cottage waiting for no one to arrive caused her to whimper and thrash about while sleeping. The next thing she knew, Julian's voice was coxing her sweetly to return to him as they had arrived at their destination.

Looking out this time, Evianna faced a magnificent palace; with white walls, soaring pillars, and purple gardens. Lines of maids were waiting along the path leading to the large entrance. The carriage door opened softly, and an elder butler in pristine attire bowed politely.

"Welcome to the Lupine Palace."