22. The Circumstance of Illea

Slowly and in detail, Evianna explained what had transpired between her and Illea from the moment they left the dining room. While she spoke, Julian's jaw clenched, and Romile's eyebrows twitched as he tried to keep a straight face. When she finished, Evianna was overwhelmed by the recollection of Illea holding the knife, and instinctively her hand shot to her leg.

Julian's expression was pained as he gently placed his hand on hers. "I'm sorry for what she did. Even though I knew what she was like, I let her drag you away." There was a quiver in his voice; Evianna couldn't tell if it was sadness or anger, but it reassured her. "I'm truly sorry."

"No!" Shaking her head Evianna squeezed her fist beneath his hand. "It's... not your fault. I..." There was nothing else she could think to say. Before the pause became too long, a loud knock at the door turned everyone's attention.

Entering before he was told it was permitted, Voster charged over to Evianna's side, "My Lady, how are you feeling?" His auburn hair was tied up in a bun, and for once, he was not wearing his cloak, with this appearance, he appeared to be a young teenager. "There was severe damage to your artery; if I had arrived much later, it could have been fatal."

Julian retold Evianna's experience to Voster, illustrating clearly each event in the story. While he did, Evianna glanced around, looking for Nina, who had gone searching for Loem. Spotting her by the door, she smiled; Nina's eyes were puffy from crying, which began again the moment Evianna looked her way.

"Julian," Evianna interjected, still looking across to Nina.

"Yes?"

Taking a deep breath, crushing the soft bed sheets between her fingers, she asked, "Can I... ask about Illea... the princess?"

Briefly, all the boys communicated through their eyes; Evianna had noticed that there was hostility between them and Illea, but she had ignored it since she had seemed kind. It was only now she realised how terrible that decision was.

Sitting up straight, the prince ran a hand through his dark hair, his silver eyes flashing. Julian nodded, "It's only right that you know. I've dragged you into hell without realising it." Evianna was about to disagree but did not have the confidence to disparage what he said. "Illea is the daughter of the deceased queen and the only princess. Unlike her, I was born to a mistress. I am not a legitimate successor to the throne, but thanks to the founding kings, my rights to be an heir are just as valid as her's or her brother's."

Evianna frowned slightly, "Illea's brother?"

"The queen had two children," Romile clarified.

Voster smirked while Julian continued, "The first prince is the oldest, but he is rarely seen unless there is an official event because he keeps himself busy with studies and politics. Illea, well, she was spoiled. If she wanted something, she would be given it, and as Illea got older, she stopped asking and began taking, using her position as the sole princess of Waldemyre to do so."

Evianna thought about the relationship between Julian and the other members of the royal family. "Why... aren't they nice... to you?"

"As I said, I am born from a mistress. That fact made the queen feel humiliated and betrayed by the king. To try and please his wife, His Royal Majesty decided to abandon me from birth, but in conjunction with the laws for the royal family, I can't be sent away. Instead, I have been left with minimum support, and my half-siblings despise me, since they decided that their mother's death was my fault - not the adulterous man who forced himself upon a woman other than his wife."

The beautiful room fell quiet. While the sun beamed brightly through the window, Evianna thought about the royals she had met. Julian, the King, and the princess were all very different and challenging to understand. Her brain mulled messily, only stopping when Voster started chuckling. A low laugh, almost a growl, sounded from his throat.

"What's so amusing, Voster?" Julian pried.

Turning purposefully to Evianna, Voster preached, "Remember when the princess locked up your faithful servant."

Julian snickered while Romile groaned pitifully. Catching Evianna's eye, he sighed while holding up his hands. "I'll tell you about it, Your Ladyship."