34. Fall

Evianna was taken by the sights, impressed by the bountiful charity of the royal family that made the people so happy. Only when Romile reappeared, his face shadowed by unease did Evianna once again lose her smile. Aware of Illea beside her, she carefully moved her eyes to see if she was also alert. To Evianna's surprise, she was still smiling and waving back at the town.

"Illea," Evianna mumbled nervously. Illea realised Evianna's fear and sat down beside her, lips still rounded at the corners, once again placing her hand on Evianna's leg.

"Evianna, as a princess, my role is not to cause a panic. Up until the very last moment, I have to keep everyone calm," she explained musically. Then, her constant smile was replaced by a dark expression.

"Your Ladyship, stay in the carriage," Romile hissed softly, gripping the tilt of his sword.

"What about me?" Illea asked playfully but not as coy as usual.

The next moment sound erupted. Evianna's senses were unable to keep up with the brutality of the images before her. Explosions shaking the bridge violently, Myrde statues falling, men running with swords, the clanging sound of iron, and the deep, sickly smell of it all forming a cloud over the dead, overwriting the sweet stench of flowers. Terror took hold of Evianna's body. Memories of pain inflicted on her throughout the years played like a reel in her mind. Sweat acted like glue between her body and the dress while her hands trembled in tiny fists. Barely able to move, she turned to support Illea, who was still a princess despite her ignoble character.

But Illea was also fighting. To Evianna's surprise, unlike Voster, her magic was not a light colour but dark and sharp; as it met with the attackers, they either shrieked in agony before they could no longer breathe, or they would stab themselves because the pain was too great.

Far up ahead, Julian was slashing his way towards the centre of the crowd, moving slowly in their direction, determined and fearless. Romile could be seen fighting beside them; with heavy burning strokes, he scorched anyone who tried to come near. Various Mages were making their way down the mammoth wall, as the gates could not be opened, to join the fight.

"Evianna, let's move to the far side of the carriage," Illea instructed. This attack had brought out a sense of power and control from the princess, which Evianna admired. As the pair moved over towards the edge, the whole carriage was forced sideways as a magic user on the aggressor's side threw Romile and his horse into it.

Evianna wobbled, now they were positioned at the very edge of the bridge. The parapet did not come up as far as they stood, leaving the view unobstructed and strangely captivating under the circumstances. Entranced by the unlit landscape, which melted away the cold sensations of deathly calls, the scent of blood, and ominous wind, Evianna allowed curiosity to control her. Peering over the ledge, Evianna felt her weight move forward and her arms windmill. Panic took hold as her mind screamed that she would fall.

A sudden embrace pulled her from certain death, "Careful, are you alright?" Illea asked, eyes wide and worried.

"Thank you," Evianna breathed heavily. Stepping forward to move away from the edge, she noticed that Illea's grip around her had not loosened, "Please... let go."

As her black hair blew in the wind, the cries of dying men behind her, Illea smiled innocently, like a cat bringing a mouse to its owner, "Of course."

With that, Illea released her. Evianna's body fell backwards, the weight of gravity unwilling to let go, like a child with a toy, pulling her down towards the water at the bottom. Illea's image grew smaller high above until another figure joined her, screaming Evianna's name as the blackness swallowed her. Abruptly, icy shallows espoused her; the water was painful but welcoming, carrying her away from the terrifying, bloody battle.

Evianna was exhausted; unable to swim she could not change her course. Panic and fear washed over her anew as grimy water introduced itself to her taste buds, and rapids beat her body blue. Giving up, she let her eyes drift closed, positive that Julian would find her.