18. An Unexpected Guest

Following the butler through the palace, Evianna embraced her surroundings in the new day sun. The corridors were brighter than yesterday as light poured in through the windows, noise from the maids dashing to complete their chores was pleasant to the ear, and the steady beat of a call outside made Evianna smile.

The route to the dining room was almost the same as she had travelled the day before. This time, however, when they reached the large hall by the main entrance, they turned right through double doors into an open space with a long table. Julian was waiting at the head of the table, and as he saw the two enter, he beamed, beckoning Evianna over. Walking towards him, she noticed that many maids were lining the walls. They dripped their heads as she walked past, making Evianna self-conscious, and she looked down so as not to meet their eyes.

"Good morning," Julian said as he signalled for the maids to begin laying out food on the table. Evianna was mesmerised by the efficiency of it all: trollies covered with silver dishes and glass jugs rolled through from a small door to the left, napkins were offered along with various kinds of juices and jams. The aroma was strong but endearing; Evianna could feel her mouth-watering as a toast stand was paced before her.

Glancing at Julian, Evianna could see he was observing her. Blushing, she looked down, embarrassed about her excitement over the breakfast routine. Suddenly, a high-pitched clanging made her lift her head as Julian used his fork to tap at her plate. Smirking at her visible confusion, he ushered away the busy servants. As everyone began to leave, Evianna noticed that a guard was standing not too far from Julian. She recognised his rusty-coloured hair immediately as she had seen him many times since Hoiren. Noticing her stare, Julian began to speak.

"I guess you recognise him," he said, sighing.

The Guard chuckled, "Guess I'm just that handsome, Your Highness."

Shooting him a harmless glare, Julian began to laugh as well. "This is Romile; he is the Captain of my personal Guard. Unlike other guards, he stays near me at all times but also takes command of the unit in any situation."

Evianna looked at the man in the green and black uniform, sword on his side. Seeing her interest, Romile cleared his throat dramatically.

"Your Ladyship, it is an honour to make your acquaintance formally. I, Romile Vol Fassie, Captain of the Second Prince's Guard, will serve you as my second master since you saved my own." Blinking in astonishment, Evianna watched as Julian and the Guard began laughing hysterically.

"When was the last time you spoke politely?" Julian choked between breaths.

"When was the last time I met with a noble personally other than you?" Romile retorted.

As the laughter died down, Julian looked over at Evianna, "Your hair looks nice; I didn't realise it was so blonde." Smiling, Evianna nodded, understanding his praise because she was too shocked by the colour's transformation.

The pair began eating. Evianna was not surprised by the number of maids it had taken to transport the food to the table; there was an assortment of meats, breads, fruits, cakes, and food Evianna had never seen before. Julian explained that they came from neighbouring lands such as Angoles, Hasimat, and Bulen. As they finished, Evianna felt as though stitches in her dress would tear. She had never eaten so much food in her life.

After emptying his cup, Julian asked, "Voster will be coming in the afternoon, so we have free time this morning. Is there anything you want to do?"

Evianna gazed at the table. Since waking up, she had found herself in a bedroom, which she was positive she had imagined due to its beauty and elegance. Felt her mother's grip on her falling away. She had giggled with the maids since early hours. Julian had introduced her to another new person, and she had eaten more than she probably should. Just as Evianna was about to say that there was nothing else she could wish for, the doors to the dining room smashed open deafeningly. In rushed a girl, about a head taller than Evianna, with long, flowing black hair and piercing emerald eyes that gleamed at the two sitting down.

"Good morning, sister, what a pleasant surprise," Julian mumbled monotonously.

The girl ignored him and continued to stride towards Evianna, placing a hand on the back of her chair.

Smiling radiantly, she said, "You must be Elavinna."