7. Lupine Palace

The kind light flowing into the carriage was blinding to Evianna. The butler holding out his hand to her made her nervous. She wasn't afraid; instead, a bubbling sensational stirred within her that she had never felt before. Julian gently motioned towards the exit, so Evianna cautiously joined hands with the well-dressed elder and emerged into the bright sunlight.

Observing her surroundings, Evianna could barely believe her eyes. Lilacs and indigos as far as the eye could see as fields of flowers stretched into the distance. In the slight breeze beneath the spring sun, trees swayed contentedly. The outdoors' floral scent bombarded her senses; the taste of fresh air left Evianna light-headed after so long in the carriage.

"Is it what you expected?" Julian hopped down behind her. Speechless, Evianna shook her head, and he laughed heartily, "True, most wouldn't expect a prince's palace to be surrounded by delicate flowers, but that's where the palace gets its name."

Evianna glanced over, surveying Julian's face for the meaning concealed within the words. She did not think it mattered whether there were flowers around the palace. To her, it only made the magnificent white building look even more regal.

"Shall we eat?" He was now looking back at her. His silver eyes fixed on her violet ones, just like when they first met.

"Yes... please," Evianna replied.

Beaming widely, Julian responded, "Alright, since you like the scenery so much, we can eat in the side garden. It has a wonderful view of the landscape." Not needing a response, Julian began walking towards the palace, giving out orders to the various maids who had lined up on their arrival.

Looking back, Evianna could see that their travelling companions of knights, guards, unexpected nobles, and Voster were nowhere to be seen. A small well of happiness brimmed inside Evianna's heart. Perhaps he had given an order to leave quietly so that they would not wake her up.

While smiling at his actions, she found herself by Julian's side in a different area of the garden. A graceful pair of chairs and a table awaited them in the centre of a round, tiled section lined with all sorts of blooming flowers that Evianna had never seen before.

A young woman in a maid's uniform stepped forward, "Your Highness, My Lady. We have chosen a simple selection of refreshments after your long journey. Please call should you need anything." After saying her lines, she elegantly took a few silent steps backwards before returning to her stance against the wall.

Charmingly, Julian wrapped Evianna's arm around his own and led her over, offering the seat to the right. He pointed out the view from that chair was ever so slightly more picturesque. While eating little biscuits and fruit, the pair conversed leisurely. Evianna explained that the food they were eating now was the first she had had in days. The delicate decorations and sweetness were something that she had never encountered before, and she was sincerely grateful.

Evianna enjoyed speaking with Julian, but a weed began to grow in her subconscious. Despite his kindness, this was the person who killed her mother. He should despise both Coretta and Evianna for their shared blood, yet he didn't condemn her just because of who her parent was. She was beginning to trust him instead of just looking to survive, which made her nervous.

Once the pair had finished, Julian offered to take Evianna on a turn of the grounds. Her mind still preoccupied, Evianna agreed, bounding to her feet a little too quickly. As her feet met the floor, her body knocked the table; in an attempt not to tip it over, Evianna panicked and threw herself backward, falling over her chair.

Lying limply on the tiled ground, Evianna blinked towards the sky. As Julian and the maids rushed over to assist her back into her chair, thankful for their aid Evianna felt a familiar burn. Clamping her hand around her arm, she felt that her clothes were wet. It wasn't just her arm, the sensation of hot pain emanating from her legs and elbow made tears glaze Evianna's vision.

Julian's voice was soothing and comforting as he consoled her, "Don't worry, I've sent for Voster. He'll heal you right up, again." Laughing lightly, he watched Evianna's face for her reaction.

Gazing back, Evianna stared into his eyes as her tears began to fall. Julian's expression changed as they did - a look of confusion and horror. Slowly he picked up one of the tears that had fallen onto Evianna's lap. Holding it between his thumb and index finger, Julian held it up to the sun, as though he were trying to convince himself that it was real. Evianna stared, her pain forgotten as she gawked at what he was holding.

A clear, glistening jewel.