54. The Deal Is Struck

"What precisely is your proposed scheme? His Royal Highness won't just willingly hand over the crown," Julian questioned inquisitively.

"As I mentioned previously, war with Rohnelle is immanent. You will go to battle, building your reputation and commendations with each victory you accomplish. Once you have taken full control and the people sing your praises, you will return to the capital to stage a rebellion. At that time, you will strip the royals of their positions and take the title of ruler for yourself."

For a moment, the conversation took a hiatus. The room grew so quiet that the sound of Romile's sighs became audible through the closed door. A grin forcing itself onto Julian's face in response to the sound, he slowly asked, "By 'strip the royals of their positions,' does that include you?"

Without taking the time to formulate a response, the first prince replied, "Yes, in order to completely dominate the enemy, nothing from the past must remain."

Glancing to the sword on Wen's hip, Julian asked, "Why are you so certain that I will be victorious?"

"The same reason you are so wary of the sword decorating my waist," Wen answered, stroking the hilt of his blade, allowing his aura to purr lightly.

A harsh realisation dawned on the dark-haired prince. His most valuable hidden card was already on the table before he could use it. Wen was aware of his Blade Master status; he had revealed his own ability to keep Julian on edge. His expression danced through phases of panic as he tried to comprehend his stance in their cooperation without holding his strongest card to his chest.

Forcing himself free from his spiral, Julian decided to confront Wen about how he knew about his skills with a sword at another time. "And after I have achieved this impossible goal?"

"I will give you Evianna," Wen said authoritatively. Stretching out his hand to signal a bargain, Wen paused as he realised who he was talking to. His subconscious had treated this as though it were official business and went about following the typical timetable of an important meeting. Shaking his head back to attention, his voice turned cold as he regained his composure and dropped his hand, "Have we reached an accord?"

"Indeed, we have," Julian agreed, "How do we begin?"

"Father will hold a council meeting tomorrow, during which he will propose war. Chancellor Henos will oppose strongly; you must convince him to do the opposite and suggest your participation on the frontlines. This will be an ideal situation to be rid of you, and father will agree," Wen explained.

"Not bad. Although, I need proof that you can get to Evianna," Julian bartered sternly.

"What kind of proof?"

"Bring me something, anything. Show me that you can deliver, and then I will play my part in the production you have concocted," Julian refrained his voice tremendously in order to sound controlled. These words were a plea for evidence of Evianna, although he refused to appear weak before his senior.

After a moment of thought, Wen nodded, "I will send you what you want before tomorrow, and then you must find the Chancellor."

"Agreed."

"Then I will excuse myself," Wen concluded, standing with a force that moved his chair back with a sharp squeal off the rug onto the rough wooden flooring.

Wincing at the sharp noise, Julian's mouth began to form words of farewell, which were not needed as Wen did not wait for a reply. Showing himself from the study, Romile and Voster jumped as his figure emerged at speed through the previously closed door. Julian joined them in the corridor, watching Wen disappeared without another word, knowing he was headed in Evianna's direction.

Resisting the urge to tail after him, the young prince imagined his reunion with Evianna. If Wen kept his word Julian would become the highest ranking person in the country; he could provide Evianna with anything she could ever want or need. With so many resources at hand, breaking her curse would be almost too simple. As a large smile returned to his face, Julian ushered his Guard and Mage into the study to impart the details of the deal between the princes.