10. Guide

Having followed the steward into the palace, footsteps of the small procession echoed through the hallways of emerald carpets, enormous portraits, priceless ornaments, and cold black doors, lining the way to the King. The steward, who had greeted the pair upon arrival, gracefully explained the audience process to Evianna as they walked. In an almost soundless space, his voice became huge as it reverberated off the walls.

"It is an honour to make your acquaintance, My Lady. My name is Kallin Ro Beras," he began smiling courteously, motioning gently in each direction when the group encroached on turns with various options. "I am sure the Second Prince has already informed you on etiquette and manners for a royal summons, but I shall cover it once again for your convenience."

Shocked, Evianna didn't look over to Julian, who had been too preoccupied with his thoughts in the carriage to explain it. Instead, she tripped on the thick carpet and a heavy panic sat in her stomach. Instinctively, Evianna's body tensed, waiting to be met with force; not receiving any, she sighed silently in liberation. This was not her mother; those living in a palace would not behave in such a cruel manner.

Turning her attention back to Sir Beras, he continued to explain the expected etiquette for the looming audience with His Majesty.

"When greeting His Majesty, King of Waldemyre, it is essential that you bow when you enter the hall and once again once you arrive at your place. Keep your head up so that His Majesty can read your face but lower your eyes to not look directly at him. Speak politely and only if called on. Once you are dismissed, bow again, and then turn back before walking away."

Reeling from the instructions, Evianna could see a gigantic door at the end of the hallway approaching ominously with a striking white inlay that stood out against the dark wood. On either side of the entrance to the throne room were two guards and two knights, each decadently attired with the kingdom's colours as well as fanciful medals and swords.

The group came to a stop not far from the door, and Sir Beras told Julian and Evianna to remain there until he returned with the King's permission for them to enter. Quickly he disappeared through a smaller side door that was barely visible in the shadow; if you did not know it was there, it was almost undetectable.

From this distance, Evianna was reminded of the splendour of the palace's magnificent external appearance by inspecting the colossal door. Softly she felt a tender weight in her hand, a cool grip that she recognised instantly without flinching; she waited for Julian's voice to fill her consciousness.

"I'm sorry I forgot to tell you about the rules when we were in the carriage."

"No... you seemed to be... just as taken aback as I was."

"That's true," he chuckled. "Don't worry if you get something wrong; watch me, and I'll give you hints. For now, when the door opens, bow. Then, bow again once you reach your place, which will be signalled to you by either Beras or another aide."

"Yes..." Evianna replayed Julian's and Sir Beras' words in her head until the young steward returned.

"His Majesty waits for you, please enter, Your Highness, My Lady."

As soon as Sir Beras finished, the doors began to rock outwards, the dark wood smelt of ivory as it passed by not far from where they stood, waiting. Suddenly Evianna felt the atmosphere shift and bowed deeply. She wasn't sure if she was doing it correctly; Coretta had never taught her anything, but bowing was commonplace at times when she had committed offenses that the Witch loathed.

"Let's go," Julian whispered, and she stood straight.

Each step Evianna took into the room felt as though she might be struck by lightning. Bright light fell from the ceiling as if the sun lived in the glass roof; the reflection of light in the many chandeliers sent rays of light all around the space appearing like beams.

At the end of the room was an empty, elegant golden throne, elevated up a set of stairs and surrounded by courtiers. Glancing around, Evianna could see Sir Beras beckoning her to her place, which was marked by a white design in the green carpet that was so thick it felt as if she were walking through a marsh. Taking a deep breath, Evianna lowered her eyes and left Julian's side, making her way quietly to her position as quickly as possible.