32. Let The Evening Commence

"Right," barely able to pull his eyes away Julian pressed on, "as I mentioned before, the Lady Myrde is allowed to choose her escort. I cannot be your escort, as it is custom for a prince to lead the procession, illegitimate or not. If you would like, I can make the decision, but I wanted to know your thoughts first."

"Could I... have Romile?"

"He would be honoured," Julian said as he took Evianna's hand in his while he knelt before her, bringing her fingers to his lips.

Time flew by quickly as the day of the festival drew closer and the atmosphere around the palace grew increasingly hectic. Jewellers, painters, artisans, beauticians, and more came to pledge their services to this year's Lady Myrde. Decorations swathed every surface, the scent of fresh bakes and flowers swirled throughout every corridor.

When the day of the festival arrived, Evianna's heart raced as if she were a ship on an angry ocean. Anticipation racked her body as she descended the stairs to meet Julian and Romile. Voster, as an Imperial Mage, was required to wait by the King's palace to shower the Lady Myrde's carriage in magic as it crossed the Wall during the ceremony.

Arriving at the bottom of the steps, Evianna's gold-tipped heels sounded like bells chiming as they met with the flowery, frozen tiles. Grinning, Romile extended his hand courteously.

"Are you ready, my beautiful Lady?"

Feeling all her concerns wash away, Evianna giggled, "Of course."

Waiting by the entrance of Lupine Palace, Julian and Romile ran through the itinerary of the day. As the festival started in the early evening, most of the festivities began at night. During the day, commoners would hold markets, plays, and other events based on tales of the Myrde. Unfortunately, due to preparations for the festival, Evianna had not had the chance to ask about the legends.

The scent of flowers filled the air inspiring Romile to joke that it was Evianna's dress, and the three laughed until Julian was alerted to a sound in the distance. Hearing the oncoming sound of hooves against the ground, Evianna turned in the direction of the road. On the horizon, through the purple fields, approached an ensemble of guards, knights, and a carriage.

"Let's go, Lady Myrde," Julian chuckled.

Walking down the path towards where the carriage would stop, Evianna could barely keep herself from running in excitement. The black horses wrapped in green and gold were stunning as they towed a large open-top carriage with flowers and birds engraved into every panel. As the wheels stopped turning, Romile offered his hand to assist Evianna's mount, and a frighteningly soft voice slipped out from the transport like honey.

"Are you not going to greet me?"

Evianna felt a cold grip tighten around her gut as silky black hair and glowing emerald eyes loomed above her. Then, suddenly, Julian wrenched Evianna into his grasp while Romile's hand gripped the hilt of his sword.

"There is no need to be so wary; this is a joyous occasion," the princess purred.

Julian's grip tightened around Evianna as he growled in return, "Why are you here, sister?"

A dignified air sat around the princess as she explained, "Father thought that by spending time together, Evianna and I could resolve our differences." Then, realising that the hostility had not wavered, the princess continued sweetly, "while also showing the people the close relationship between the Lady Myrde and the royal family."

"Why is that important?" Julian let go of Evianna, but she was too afraid to step away. So instead, keeping her head down, she focussed her line of sight on his hand, which she knew was warm, bringing her comfort.

"Dear little brother, remember she became the Lady Myrde because she saved your life, among other things. We must demonstrate how we reward such devotion," the princess's smile was captivating, yet those standing below her felt unnerved by her words.

Turning to Evianna, Julian gently lifted her head with his hand, "Evianna, are you alright with this? There isn't much I can do if it is on His Royal Majesty's order, but don't forget Romile is by your side. Nothing can happen this time."

Searching his eyes, Evianna knew that she could not reject the oncoming events; looking to Romile, who nodded with forced composure, she whispered, "It's... fine."

Beaming like the first morning rays, the princess extended her hand, "Brilliant, come Evianna, this will be an experience you will never forget," she cheered.

"Yes, Prince..." Evianna began, but a shadow seemed to cross the princess's ageless face, "Illea."