106. Addressing The New Day

Taking a deep breath, Julian called out to those below, the size of rice grains, confused and scared. "This morning marks an end and a beginning. The tyranny you faced under Emperor Yaalon the First has ended. In the process of last night's battle, Imperial Princess Illea Cadence Del Waldemar met her death for the crimes of misuse of magic and transgressions against the people, she forced Mage's to offer their power to her, resulting in losing their abilities and lives. The large beast you saw was indeed an Allancient, a Dragon-breed that had been sleeping silently behind Warrick Palace for centuries. It would have continued to do so if the princess had not disturbed and corrupted its mind. Finally, the Imperial First Prince, Wen Frenti Del Waldemar, lost his life as he strived to save as many lives as he could; he was a hero and shall be remembered as one." Taking another breath, Julian tried to gauge the reactions of those listening; however, their expressions were too far away to see, so he continued, focussing on supporting his voice, demonstrating his power and position to the people.

"In light of last night's events, the crown and title of the emperor have fallen to me. While I understand apprehension due to my young age, as I have yet to reach adulthood, I have decided to form an interim government that will assist me until I come of age in two months. The aim until then is to rebuild Warrick Palace, re-establish a functioning military, reward those who have taken part in this battle, and work towards bettering the lives of you, the citizens. I am aware that while Emperor Yaalon did expand the town, he left it to suffer without guards or order. It is my hope that you can see the future I wish to build and will guide and support my efforts to better Waldemyre."

As Julian concluded his speech, silence settled as the echo of his voice drained away, disappearing into the slums. Unease wracked Julian's body as he waited for a response. Without warning, a cheer erupted in the town, shaking the ground and breathing life back into the people who had been terrified.

A smile climbed onto Julian's lips as he beamed at his people. At this moment, he was at peace. There was little he could do about events already passed, so he decided to focus on what the future may bring. As he looked over the Wall, Julian caught sight of the Chancellor, still strung up indecently for the world to mock. Swiftly he signalled to a couple of guards stained as lookouts to free his friend's, his father's body from its incarceration.

Descending from the Wall, he was met by a crowd of commoners rushing in to greet their new emperor, even though he was yet to receive the title. As he greeted and waved, the sound of coughing and muffled steps broke the crowd apart.

"Your Imperial Highness," Duke Darron exclaimed as he approached alongside Duke Fassie. As the two arrived a few feet from him, they each dropped to their knee as if making an oath and receiving an order.

Julian quickly shot a glance at Romile, who showed no expression, which would suggest he was uncomfortable, but it was unconvincing as his body was visibly stiff where he sat.

"My dukes, you have done extremely well, and you have my utmost gratitude for all you have done," Julian thanked them as he beckoned them to rise to their feet.

"Your Imperial Highness, I would like to make a request," Duke Darron declared, placing his hand across his chest.

Julian was taken aback before a crowd of onlookers. The bear-like old Duke had cast aside his rank, almost equal to his own, and knelt as if he were a lowly knight. "Say it. If it is something I can offer, I will gladly do so," Julian affirmed, demonstrating his control, internally grateful for the Duke's actions.

"I wish to remain the Grandmaster and serve at your side."

A smile tickled his cheeks as he spoke, "I had hoped you would keep the position, and Duke Fassie, is there anything you desire?"

"I only wish that my current position remains unchanged; however, I will gladly be Your Imperial Highness's sword in the future," the greying man replied, his face and stature truly resembling Romile.

Pleased by the allegiance of two of the most powerful men in the empire, Julian extended his hand, "I thank you both for your kindness. In the coming days, I will be forming a short-term government; I had hoped that you both might join me."

"It would be my honour, Your Imperial Highness." Instead of taking his hand, the two dukes rose from the mud and beat their hands against their chests as if they were pledging eternal loyalty to the boy who would become emperor.

"I'm glad," Julian said, touching their shoulders gently, accepting of their intentions. "If you would excuse me, I would like to take Evianna to Lupine Palace, she has had a trying four years, and tonight's experience has left her in a fragile state."

Before leaving, Julian commanded a day and a night's rest for everyone who had taken part in the battle; their efforts were rewarded by the townsfolk, who offered a feast, music, and entertainment. The following day, Mage's worked together alongside artisans and builders to begin remodelling the crumpled Warrick Palace, a venture which would take until Julian's enthronement.

As he had said, Julian and Romile returned to Lupine Palace, whose occupants had remained, more fearful of their home facing destruction than fleeing for their lives as the sounds of war carried over the palace grounds to them. Upon seeing their master return, Evianna in his arms, the staff wept; Loem Ri Sanst allowed a tear to race down his cheek for the first time since the passing of Sharlo Yastoff, Julian's mother. Julian made his way towards the white wooden door, surrounded by flowers and light; placing Evianna down in her bed, Julian's heart burst with the emotion he had kept in check since the previous evening. Holding her hand in his, he wept. His tears were large and undignified, yet they didn't stop.

Romile had not followed him to the room of purple and silver as he, too, found himself in tears. The endless night had ceased, but the repercussions were far more extensive than either one had expected them to be. It was some time before they finally took rest; they each fell into a deep sleep, as deep as Evianna's but not quite as long.