28. Mirrored Hall

Crossing into the Mirrored Hall, Evianna realised immediately where its name came from. The room itself was composed of a standard set of furniture one would expect to see in a palace; the only difference was that every wall, cushion, and chair was created from mirrored glass. Light sparked against every surface and crevice from floating orbs rather than outside as there were no windows, or if there were they no longer let in light. Standing in the centre of the room, Voster waited, once again in his cloak, his auburn hair trailing gracefully down his back. As he moved to face her, his eyes appeared dark, contrasting against his relaxed expression. Evianna wondered what this could mean but decided not to ask, as it was clear the ambience was walking along a tightrope.

"Welcome, do you like it?" Voster asked, motioning her to come closer.

Collecting her thoughts, Evianna walked over; hearing the tap of her heels against the glass floor, she lifted them to step only on her toes. "It is... beautiful."

Realising what she had done, Voster's expression changed. Laughing, he beamed, "Thank you, My Lady." As Evianna arrived next to him, in front of a small looking-glass table, he continued, "If I am completely honest, My Lady, I created this room by accident when I was a young, inexperienced Mage. I could not control my power well, but I have grown very fond of this place."

While Voster spoke he removed the glass ring which has adorned his finger since their first meeting. With practiced hands, he shifted the jewellery from one hand to the other before gently setting it down on s smooth, circular table-top. As Evianna gazed at the table, she caught Voster's reflection and saw the same look in his eye from when she entered; loneliness and hope, both battling within a room where you are unable to hide anything, even from yourself.

Bringing himself to make eye contact with her, Voster smiled tightly, "Right, I invited you here as there is no chance of interruption or eavesdropping without my permission as this space is maintained and governed by my will." Evianna waited for him to continue with bated breath; if he wanted to speak with her in such a secretive room, perhaps she was in trouble or would be asked to leave the palace. "As we were discussing before with His Highness, Magical Lineage suggests that you, too, may hold abilities to the same extent as your mother."

Shock rendered her by surprise, a soft ringing nestled by Evianna's ear as she thought about how to respond, "How would... I know?"

"Have you ever felt, used, or distorted magic of any kind? Has your will ever changed the natural setting or an individual?" There was no malice or pressure behind his words, but Voster needed an answer; however, Evianna couldn't be sure.

"No... I don't think so," she whispered after some time. Thinking of her mother, Coretta Cabot, no longer hurt the same way. It had only been a couple days since her death, yet Evianna was free from the terror she had always felt came from the Witch. Instead, that terror now belonged to someone else, the princess, Illea.

Voster focussed on Evianna; he could see her face become grey and closed off. His mind raced, thoughts of her rejecting magic because of her mother, of rejecting him because he used magic plagued him and made him uncomfortable.

"If you're sure," he replied urgently, shaking Evianna from her spiral of negative thoughts. "My Lady, I am not trying to scare you, and I don't wish for this information to perturb you in any way, but I do hope that you understand that possessing magic is not a bad thing." He paused momentarily, swiftly swinging his head in the direction of the door. "It seems our discussion will become briefer still, My Lady. We are being summoned. Let us exit the same way you entered."

Without waiting for Evianna to answer, Voster moved silently across the glass floor. Unable to see his feet due to his long cloak, Evianna smiled to herself, wondering if he used magic to float. The ringing that she heard earlier was more apparent now and as Voster gripped the door handle, the hum-like sound grew to almost chime. Opening the door, Voster glared at the room, causing it to fall silent. Ushering Evianna to leave, he shook his head and muttered under his breath. As they travelled back up the corridor, Evianna realised that it was now early evening.

Voster could see her confusion in the warm yellow rays of the sun that were still filling the passageway; her pale complexion calmed his nerves. "The Mirrored Hall is alive and gets lonely easily. That's why it releases a frequency that disturbs the time inside the room. If you don't pay attention, you could end up wasting days or even weeks inside."