35. A Delayed Royal Welcome

Cold iron burned against Evianna's wrists as her consciousness cleared. It was dark. Even with her eyes spread wide in terror, there was barely more than outlines visible. While staring into the blackness, questions crashed around inside her head, a voice sounded from somewhere unseen.

"I'm glad you are awake," the familiar tone sent new shivers through Evianna's bones, "try not to move too much. The chains have rather nasty spikes which hurt when they meet with your skin."

Sending her eyes in the direction of the voice, Evianna strained to see her opponent. The thick smell of dampened wood and rotted plants was something she felt well-acquainted with, growing up hiding in the forgotten corners of that decaying cottage. Focussing on one spot straight ahead, a flash of green revealed the dangerous gaze of Illea; even with only her eyes available to view, their feline-like gleam cut through the darkness and into Evianna's restless heart.

Hearing a scuffle by the door, light grew like a gift from the ceiling introducing Evianna to her surroundings. Illea was holding a switch that seemed to control the lighting fixtures, which consisted of various odd-shaped boxes around the room built into the walls, glowing at a set brightness. There were no windows and no decorations; the only item of furniture was an old, decomposing chair.

Looking to her hands, Evianna could see that Illea had explained it well. Iron cuffs encapsulating her wrists had metal points that sat ominously around the inside; pressing against her pale skin, ready to rip through. While Evianna sat, the cold seeping through her scratched-up festival gown which no longer kept the brooch presented by Sir Beras, a door opened opposite her. A new sensation broke through her mind. A new level of fear overwhelmed her, worse than she had ever faced from her mother or when Illea had stabbed her.

"Thank you for your hard work, my daughter," recognising the voice again, Evianna lifted her head to see the King, his greying beard decorated unlike during their last meeting and his attire more glamorous.

"It's an honour, father," Illea sang softly as she rose to greet him.

Placing a hand lovingly on her head, he said, "You're excused. I wish to have a word alone with Baroness Cabot." Glancing back at Evianna, Illea waved while smiling before turning out of the room. "My apologies for the inconvenience, Baroness Cabot."

Without entering the room any further, the King inspected the cell in disgust, "Are you aware of why you are here?" he asked; his commanding tone was not harsh but required a response.

"No... Your Royal Highness," Evianna tried to raise her body to follow etiquette, but the chains began to dig in, causing vermillion trails to mimic veins on the outer side of her skin.

Nodding, the King held up his hand to say that she did not need to bother with formalities. "When we first met, I proposed that you provide your tears, when they fall, in exchange for anything you wish. I still believe that this is a fair bargain, and as King, I shall not go back upon my word. However, the kingdom is drawing low on funds, and there are many who seek to take advantage of us in this state. The threat of war with the savages of Rohnelle to the north is a very pressing matter; if our defences are not repaired swiftly, I fear for my subjects." The King proceeded to ramble incoherently as he listed all the disadvantages of not having a steady economic flow. When he paused to take a breath, Evianna responded.

"I... understand... when I return... to Juli... to the Second Prince's palace... I will create as many tears... as you need," her words stuttered out, barely understandable.

Looking down at her with pity brimming in his stare, he said, "Young lady, you are generous beyond measure, but unfortunately, the immense debt Waldemyre is shouldered by is not easily removed." Sighing heavily, he ran a hand through his beard thoughtfully, "Until our debt to Angoles has been repaid and the kingdom has flourished, you will remain here under my protection."

"Your..."

"The princess has kindly offered to keep you company and help you in your task," he continued.

Before Evianna could speak, Illea appeared in the doorway upon her mention, holding in her grasp a beautiful scabbard home to a beautifully sharp blade.