26. Romile's Past: IV

"I'm here," stepping out from behind a pillar doned in his cloak, Voster threw up his hand and a gentle light streamed to Romile, who stopped gasping as the pain dissipated. Shocked, Romile stared at the princess; he was aware that the princess was a Mage due to her contributions in the last war, yet the extent of her abilities was rumoured to be less than he had experienced.

"That's not playing fair, little brother!" As the princess frowned, her face seemed older and more mature.

Gaining his composure, Romile brought himself to his feet and stepped back. The second prince's calmness didn't waver even as his Guard's confusion left him vulnerable.

"Who's ability did you steal this time, dear sister?"

Like bubbles in champagne, the princess's laugh was light-hearted and joyous to hear. "I don't remember his name, but he refused to listen when I offered the position of my personal Mage. It was a waste of skill, so I concluded that I could use it better."

Tilting back his head, a motion far beyond his years, the prince sighed deeply. "I see. Well, sister, it appears that we find ourselves in a stalemate."

Keeping her eyes fixed on Romile like a panther stalking its prey, the princess concurred, "I agree; what do you suggest?"

"Let us return to our respective daily lives since if we continue, we may be here for a while," the second prince eloquently suggested.

"Romile?" Realising that the princess still had him in her sights, he unconsciously glanced at his prince.

Smiling at his gaze, the second prince replied, "I think it would be better to let him decide his fate today. If you're unhappy, please approach him again in the future."

"I will take you up on that offer, little brother," pouted the princess while she signalled the armed guards around the magnificent marble room to lower their weapons. She turned to leave before calling back, "Romile, I'll see you soon."

As the prince's party left the princess's Salvia Palace, Voster inspected the damage done to Romile during his imprisonment. Surprised by the lack of wounds, he reported to the prince and disappeared. As the prince climbed into the waiting carriage, Romile offered his hand.

"I admire your mettle, Sir Blade Master."

Startled by his comment, Romile looked up at the second prince. He was once again amazed that such a young boy rescued him from the clutches of another royal. "I'm sorry, Your Highness?"

"You didn't have a sword, but you still thought about protecting me," he teased.

Realising that the prince had acknowledged him, Romile smiled, "Of course, Your Highness."

***

After Romile finished his story, silence lay across the room, not uncomfortably but rather in respect of the past. The moment was over when Julian began to laugh and complain that Romile turned a rescue story into a possible romance. As the laughing died down, Evianna thought about Illea.

"Is Illea... the princess... a witch?" she asked softly.

Receiving no immediate response, Evianna turned her gaze to Julian in his chair. After a moment of contemplation, he explained, "Luckily, she is not a Witch. Illea is descended from an Archmage on her mother's side. It's unclear about how hereditary powers work as it is uncommon for people in the same bloodline to have the same abilities but rather equally strong qualities."

Wondering why Julian looked relieved when rejecting the term 'Witch', Evianna could feel her feet begin to sweat under the blankets as she whispered, "I don't understand."

Voster interjected quickly, "My Lady, let me explain. As His Highness says, those with magical powers tend to inherit them from their bloodline, which is referred to as Magical Lineage. There are a few exceptions, but, in the usual cases, the awakening individual has abilities of similar strength but of a different kind." After carefully engaging with Evianna's expression to see if she understood, he continued. "The princess's past relative was an Archmage, from what is known he was gifted in the art of prophecy and deduction which helped the kingdom greatly, hence earning the title 'Archmage' despite not having the offensive magic. On the other hand, the princess's ability is to the same strength, but she specialises in another type of magic. Do you understand?"

"I think so," Evianna nodded. Thinking back to her mother, Evianna considered the kinds of magic she used; there was a variation to her methods, but she usually created potions and talismans. "May I ask... what kind of magic does the princess have?"

"To put it simply, she steals other's abilities," Julian stated, gritting his teeth.