31. Preparations

Moving to the study, the group delved into discussions about the festival. First, Sir Beras explained the intricacies of the parade: where Evianna would be seated, the route the carriage would take, music, decorations, and what it meant to be blessed.

"Since the formation of Waldemyre, the Myrde has watched over us, guiding the kingdom from the throws of darkness. For this to last until a new age, the founding ruler was gifted a rare pool that sits beneath Warrick Palace."

"It's an old fairy tale told to children," Romile interjected, crossing his arms.

"Based on truth," Sir Beras countered. "There is a pool below the King's palace, though I have never seen it, as only royals may enter the chamber it's in." Evianna could see a disappointed expression colour his face, Julian also noticed and continued the explanation.

"You will drink the pool's mystical water from a goblet handed to you by His Royal Majesty, and then you bow and take part in the final festivity, which is a ball." Just as Sir Beras had, Julian spoke calmly, giving time between each piece of information so Evianna could ask questions. "Since you stay in Lupine Palace, your first dance will be with me, followed by any other who may ask for your hand."

"Will the first prince be there?" Voster suddenly asked; he had remained relatively quiet since meeting in the reception hall.

Turning to meet his eyes, Julian almost scoffed at his words, "I haven't seen him for a long time, almost three years, so I'm not counting on it. He will most likely enjoy the festival from his office."

While discussing the first prince, Evianna's mouth felt a little dry as she inquired, "Why does the first prince... not show himself?"

Following a brief pause, consisting of the boys looking at each other subtly, Julian replied, "He's a very busy person. His Royal Majesty takes advantage of his intellect and pushes most of the paperwork to him. On top of that, the guards report to him, final budget decisions such as travel, taxes and festivals go through him as well."

Evianna nodded. She wondered how busy the first prince must be and if he was lonely not seeing others often. Julian rarely spoke of the first prince; realising that she wasn't aware of his name Evianna raised her head to ask as a gentle knock on the door brought the conversation to a close. After a call to enter, Nina opened the door, bowing politely.

"Your Highness, Her Ladyship's dress has arrived," she respectfully announced.

Julian's face glowed with excitement; turning to Evianna, he beamed, "Alright, Evianna, would you mind trying on the dress now so that we can run through the security plans? It won't be perfect as it was prepared hurriedly by His Royal Majesty without taking any measurements, but it will be adjusted in time for the festival."

"Yes," although she was glad to see Julian so happy, Evianna was confused by his eagerness for her to try on the new dress. Looking back as she left, Evianna noticed that Romile and Voster similarly held an air of enthusiasm.

Returning to her room, Abo and Nina worked tirelessly to help Evianna into the gown. A silk underskirt with a soft layer wrapped around above it, a fitted shirt with see-through sleeves, with the dress sitting on top. Fabric flowers cascaded down from the neck to the mid-riff, and the skirt was adorned with tumbles of gold.

"Your Ladyship, you are breath-taking," Abo whispered, tears welling while she attached the pin Sir Beras had presented when Evianna received the invitation to become the Lady Myrde.

Evianna stared at her reflection, unable to look away. With her short blond hair and violet eyes, wrapped in elegance, she barely resembled the child that had arrived not so long ago. The dress hugged her figure perfectly which surprised Evianna since it had only been hours since the King had decided to invite her to attend the festival.

Rapping at the door, Julian stepped in, his mouth dropping open at the sight of her but no sound escaped. Instead, his cheeks began to turn rosy as he stuttered to find his voice, "I don't have any words," coming closer, he stared at Evianna. "Is this the same girl that rescued me from a Witch? You look like a noble daughter that is set to marry an emperor."

Evianna blushed. Bringing her hands to her face, she turned back to the mirror to once again look at the difference. The dress design didn't accentuate her lean figure but rather refined it; she seemed well-balanced and sophisticated despite being small, indeed unbecoming of her humble birth.